No. of Recommendations: 0

<<I am aware of the law that prevents states from taxing retirement income from out of state, but a previous post indicated that 457 income is reported on a W-2, and is not a qualified plan in the same sense that IRA's and 401k's are. How would anybody know that this is retirement income and that the no tax on out of state retiement income law aopplies. If it's reported on a W-2, its taxed as wages and reported as income from UT isn't it?>>

Yes, it would be reported as income. I'm not a tax expert, and that pertains particularly to the laws of UT and CA. If you are no longer a resident of UT but UT requires you to file there because the income was earned within the confines of that state, I would assume you would file a non-resident return and pay whatever taxes are due. I would further assume that when you file as a resident of CA, you would receive some sort of credit for the taxes paid to UT. That's how most states handle it, and it is intended to avoid double taxation on the same income.

You will need to see your tax advisor to see how it plays out in your case.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.