No. of Recommendations: 1
Joel,
Wow - I have seen your posts in the past, but some of these seem to be classics.

I'm paraphrasing your quotes -

"It's easy to beat the S&P 500"
Then why are you struggling to beat the Russell 2000? Why not just play the S&P?

"Professional money managers are stupid"
"I don't deal with them anymore"
Yet you go on to tell us how you 'trade' mutual funds with Fidelity in your wife's account. I'd consider Fidelity funds to be professionally managed - perhaps you meant this as a slap against Fidelity, but I doubt that is the case.

"Timing services don't do well if there is no trend"
The month of November seems to me to have had a pretty good trend - up! I've always been curious of the value in recognizing something after it has already happened? I suppose I'd rather buy something before it has appreciated, and sell it before it has depreciated...based on fundamentals of course...call me silly!

And finally, just simply the concept of trading mutual funds.
As much as I disagree with market timing/etc, I'll be open minded enough to consider that there may be times that it is a successful strategy. But trading mutual funds? Using an instrument that is designed to limit volatility, for an act that needs volatility?
Wow!

Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement