UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JAFO31 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76418  
Subject: Re: Any Advice? Date: 1/11/2005 5:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
JOETAB24: "we are in a "starter home." bought in 02 for 90K. It would probably go for 127-130 K today. our current school district is mediocre but has a good repuation. we are on the finge of the city and concerned about the neighborhood going down rapidly; some parts already have. I would like to sell but know we cannot at this point.

Questions
I am considering paying off the car and using the $266 from the car to start paying down the house. Is this the best way to use the inheritance? What other options do I have, considering all of the factors and the new baby? Thanks for reading."

I doubt that paying of a car loan at 1.9% is the best use of funds.

You have posted essentially the same post on several boards; are you reading the responses.

I previously responded at post No. 14470 on Budgeting
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=21882035

I am beginning the think that you have already made up your mind and are simply searching for someone to give you the response for which you are looking.

Why can you not sell at this point?

Is the mortgage an adjustable rate mortgage? If it was, then a huge payment should be reflected in lower required payments after the next regularly scheduled adjustment.

If it is a fixed rate, then you would decrease total interest paid but not improve cash flow with a large payment.

Paying off the car loan improves your monthly cash flow by decreasing required expenses, but given the rate and the 2.35% ING rate another poster noted, it does not appear to be a good financial move.

Regards, JAFO

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement