Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 7
I don't believe I've ever seen a better shot than Daly's sand shot on the playoff hole. Long, downhill and toward the water by a guy who hadn't won in nearly ten years. Good for him.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
I agree. Personally, I wasn't rooting for Daly, but after that sand shot, he definitely deserved the win. More power to him!

Dozer
No. of Recommendations: 0
I agree. Personally, I wasn't rooting for Daly, but after that sand shot, he definitely deserved the win. More power to him!

I was watching Pardon the Interruption last night on ESPN and Micheal Wilbon raised the following question:

Why do we root for a guy who has been so abusive to himself and his family in this situation (golf) when in most every other part of our lives we'd look at similarly flawed individuals and scoff, or look upon them with disdain?

Talk amongst yourselves :)

Bogey
Why do we root for a guy who has been so abusive to himself and his family in this situation (golf) when in most every other part of our lives we'd look at similarly flawed individuals and scoff, or look upon them with disdain?

Good question, I am not one of those...early on, I thought he was a great story of the underdog seizing the opportunity of a lifetime.

Then he became pretty much disgusting, wasting opportunities and talents that many of us would trade certain body parts to have...That coupled with his "what are you looking at" attitude, plus certain things like his lack of respect to the galleries (shooting a practice tee shot over a grandstand gallery) and the game, acting like an a$$ because he couldn't cope with U.S. Open conditions (like there weren't around 70 other golfers playing the same course). It was those things that really turned me off...

Now he has had the ups and downs and has told his sad story and the media jumped on it...because it is sad in a lot of ways and it sells.

And it's not just Daly, similar stories exists for certain actors, musicians, athletes, etc...

Why do we root for a guy who has been so abusive to himself and his family in this situation (golf)

This is exactly why I couldn't root for the guy. His life is a wreck. I was rooting for him to overcome his alcoholism, but when he threw in the towel, it became apparent what kind of man he is.

<sarcasm>I just hope he doesn't squander away his $800,000 winnings. By now he may have spent most of it on booze, gambling, food, ex-wives, new female "groupies", cigarettes, more booze, yada, yada. With any luck, he saved enough to get a decent haircut. </sarcasm>

Dozer
;-)
here is a chronology of Daly's trials and tribulations (courtesy of Golfdigest.com):

http://www.golfdigest.com/newsandtour/index.ssf?/newsandtour/20040215chronology.html

marxtacy
No. of Recommendations: 1
I am not particularly a Tiger Woods fan or a Corey Pavin fan OR a Duffy Waldorf fan - but I am discerning about great golf performance. When any golfer hits a superb shot, I applaud his performance and praise his skill. Tiger does it alot, right? Acccordingly, at Torry Pines, John Daly, as he has done before, played a number of wonderful shots and they helped to produce a fine victory. So we SHOULD give him his time in the sun and pray that he basks in it in a mature and responsible manner. Go, John boy.

Foolishly,
Fran
No. of Recommendations: 2

Maybe because we are all 'flawed' in our on ways. Maybe we wouldn't know about these other 'flawed' individuals. I think Daly's appeal is because he is sort of every man. Some of us drink. Some of us smoke. Some of us like to gamble. Some of us (gasp) have even had domestic problems. Most of JD's problems have happened in public before cameras or where he was 'seen' drinking or gambling. As far as I know, he has never denied any of it.

Like Palmer before him and Tiger later, he brought a lot of new fans to golf, those who mainly wanted to see him grip it and rip it.

As well as seeming to have his game gpoing well, he did some commentary work for the Golf Channel recently and was quite well informed and articulate.

So even though he is 'flawed', I, for one, am pulling for the man to get it together on and off the course.

Sorry for the ramble. These are just a few thoughts off the top of my head.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I guess the thing about Big John is he's just one of us. A normal Joe, fortunately gifted with one thing that he also was lucky enough to find, and he's trying to put it to good use. It's kind of like finding out that a guy who was once a garbage collector is able to become one of the top players in the NBA (Larry Bird), or any other number of examples of normal guy makes it big. Isn't that the American way?

Heaven forbid any of us should have cameras and reporters following us our whole lives and reporting on every stupid thing we do. I'm certain it would increase the US suicide rate.
SMA
Advertisement