UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (30) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: buzman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 59135  
Subject: John McCain and his homes Date: 8/21/2008 3:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/12685.html

"I think — I'll have my staff get to you," McCain told Politico in Las Cruces, N.M. "It's condominiums where — I'll have them get to you."

He doesn't know how many homes they own.

buzman
Print the post Back To Top
Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13920 of 59135
Subject: Re: John McCain and his homes Date: 8/21/2008 3:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
"He doesn't know how many homes they own."

So? most of them are likely rental properties that he doesn't even have time to visit..pays a real estate manager (or the condo association) to manage them/lease them out.

Lots of upper income folks have rental properties - "houses" if you will.

Can you tell me exactly, right off the top of your head, how many indvidual stocks and mutual funds and CDs you own TODAY?

Didn't think so.

If they are investment properties, so what?

t.

Author: buzman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13922 of 59135
Subject: Re: John McCain and his homes Date: 8/21/2008 4:08 PM
"most of them are likely rental properties that he doesn't even have time to visit.."

Umm, umm, umm...grasping for straws aren't you?

Could you-just maybe-come up with a link?

buzman

Author: ChurchyLaFemme Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13923 of 59135
Subject: Re: John McCain and his homes Date: 8/21/2008 4:16 PM
So? most of them are likely rental properties that he doesn't even have time to visit..pays a real estate manager (or the condo association) to manage them/lease them out.

Assumes facts not in evidence. Also, it's not a good idea to have investment properties you know nothing about. The people managing said properties could take you to the cleaners if you're not on top of your investments. Somebody could be raking it in without poor John's knowledge or consent because he doesn't know what he has.

Can you tell me exactly, right off the top of your head, how many indvidual stocks and mutual funds and CDs you own TODAY?

Yup. But it's on a strict need to know basis and you don't need to know. If I told you.....well, you know the rest.

Love and kisses,

Churchy

Author: synchronicityII Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13925 of 59135
Subject: Re: John McCain and his homes Date: 8/21/2008 4:20 PM

Or...not. But thanks for playing!

-synchronicity, thinks will set off a fun line of attack, and just in time for the conventions!

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13939 of 59135
Subject: Re: John McCain and his homes Date: 8/21/2008 6:50 PM
How rich to you have to be to not know how many homes you own?

It boggles the mind.

I wonder if Warren Buffet knows how many homes he owns?

intercst

Author: cgrinder Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13941 of 59135
Subject: Re: John McCain and his homes Date: 8/21/2008 7:35 PM
so where are all these houses located?

Author: cgrinder Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13943 of 59135
Subject: Re: John McCain and his homes Date: 8/21/2008 7:40 PM
do we have verifyable addresses of all these houses? i have read all the stories about all these houses but no one has listed the cities the houses are in!

as sgt joe friday always said, "just the facts".

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13946 of 59135
Subject: Re: John McCain and his homes Date: 8/21/2008 8:04 PM
cgrinder asks,

do we have verifyable addresses of all these houses? i have read all the stories about all these houses but no one has listed the cities the houses are in!

There was an article in the NY Times a few months ago that toured the McCain personal real estate inventory. Here's a more recent list.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2008/08/its_true_mccain_has_...

First off, it would be more accurate to say McCain's wife owns most of their seven houses.

The McCains' property is mostly in the name of Cindy McCain, chairwoman Hensley & Co, a huge Anheuser-Busch beer distributorship that was founded by her parents. Records show she owns residences across the country.

1. The largest home is a creekside ranch near Sedona, Ariz., spread over more than six acres. That's where McCain entertained vice presidential prospects, including Florida Gov. Charlie Crist, over Memorial Day weekend. Records show it includes three houses and is worth about $1.1-million. The owner is listed as the Cindy Hensley McCain Family Trust.

2. In nearby Phoenix, Cindy McCain owns two combined condo units worth about $1.7-million. They're part of the Residences at 2211 Camelback, which bills itself as "The Valley of the Sun's finest example of life beyond the expected" at "the most preferred urban residential address in the prestigious Camelback Corridor."

3. In Arlington, Va., the McCains live in a three-bedroom high-rise condo worth $847,800, property records show.

4. They also own a condo in La Jolla, Calif., that's worth more than $1-million. The building overlooks a park and the Pacific Ocean.

Records also link the McCains to three other residences.

5. An Arizona company called Wild River Rental LLC, which records show is owned by Cindy McCain, is listed as the owner of Phoenix condo worth more than half a million dollars. The McCains bought the condo for their daughter Meghan, according to a story in GQ magazine and confirmed through a public records search. The reporter compared the inside to "a spaceship furnished by West Elm. There's a giant silver chimney that extends out of her fireplace into the ceiling about twenty feet above."

6. and 7. Dream Catcher Family LLC, a domestic corporation formed by the McCain family, owns two condos in a beachfront complex in Coronado, Calif. Tax records show one is valued at $2.7-million. The other was purchased this year, according to sales records. A sales price was not available.

Though the Obama campaign forgot to mention that it's actually McCain's wealthy wife who owns most of the property, we'll overlook the legal status to say the implication is correct. They're right in saying that McCain has seven homes in five cities and three states.

</snip>

intercst

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13948 of 59135
Subject: Re: John McCain and his homes Date: 8/21/2008 8:23 PM
intercst: "They're right in saying that McCain has seven homes in five cities and three states."

And all of them bought honestly

No sleazy deals with the help of a Rezko and dirty politics and insider information as in 'Obambi'.

t.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13949 of 59135
Subject: Re: John McCain and his homes Date: 8/21/2008 9:03 PM
Recommendations: 3
How rich to you have to be to not know how many homes you own?

It boggles the mind.

probably. but not a fair comparison.

Buffett's are likely all his .. he doesn't have to keep track of his wife's --McCain can't be expected to keep up with Cindy's shopping trips.

especially when he's got so much else on his mind
>> trying to figure out the difference between Shiia and Sunni;
worrying about Russian tanks bearing down on Atlanta
concerned over the troubles on the Iraq-Pakistan borders
trying to calculate how many wars he can start without The Draft ...

-
..... and Buffett isn't a POW

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13953 of 59135
Subject: Re: John McCain and his homes Date: 8/21/2008 9:09 PM
Recommendations: 3
especially when he's got so much else on his mind
>> trying to figure out the difference between Shiia and Sunni;
worrying about Russian tanks bearing down on Atlanta
concerned over the troubles on the Iraq-Pakistan borders

-----------------

ROTFLMAO!

AM

Author: crassfool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13955 of 59135
Subject: Re: John McCain and his homes Date: 8/21/2008 9:16 PM
cgrinder says

as sgt joe friday always said, "just the facts".

Who cares where they are? The fact under discussion is that apparently there are so many of them that McCain doesn't even know how many.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13956 of 59135
Subject: Re: John McCain and his homes Date: 8/21/2008 9:30 PM

-----------------

ROTFLMAO!

?? i'm serious. guy thinks he's already CiC, can't be worried about his wife's finances. [ when i was married, *i* couldn't have answered "How many cookbooks do you and your wife have?" ]

and looking at intercst's post and some other threads
( http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=26919872 ),
it's even more complicated than i thought...

some of the properties are rentals..do those count?
some are owned by corporations owned by Mrs., do those count
do condos count as homes?
does a compound count as one or three??

all that PLUS as maverickstraighttalingherorepublican , he has to answer every question with short, snappy, STRONG answers.

Can't be doing 'nuance' like, "I don't own ****, my wife owns a ship-load of real estate .. she also owns more shoes that Wal-mart, who could keep track of all that?"

=

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13957 of 59135
Subject: Re: John McCain and his homes Date: 8/21/2008 9:32 PM
Who cares where they are? The fact under discussion is that apparently there are so many of them that McCain doesn't even know how many.

either that or the fact that Real Estate is taking up news cycles and his flip-flop on the Draft is getting ignored ?

=

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13958 of 59135
Subject: Re: John McCain and his homes Date: 8/21/2008 9:59 PM
0x6a74 writes,

I don't think that any of the seven properties on the list are rentals. The LLC and company ownerships were probably done to keep the McCain name off the public property records.

intercst

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13959 of 59135
Subject: Re: John McCain and his homes Date: 8/21/2008 10:14 PM

===
I don't think that any of the seven properties on the list are rentals. The LLC and company ownerships were probably done to keep the McCain name off the public property records.

there it is. "Wild River Rentals" threw me (didn't read carefully) ...if it confused ME, how could anyone expect McCain to know ??

-

why would you want to keep your name off public records?

Author: FCorelli Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13960 of 59135
Subject: Re: John McCain and his homes Date: 8/21/2008 10:16 PM
Recommendations: 2

So people won't know how rich you are.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13961 of 59135
Subject: Re: John McCain and his homes Date: 8/21/2008 10:26 PM

So people won't know how rich you are.

but then, why only three? why not all nine?

then he could say, "we don't own a home .. "

-
tis encouraging that she has a Ranch, so's we will continue to be entertained by pictures of The President cuttin-brush™

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13962 of 59135
Subject: Re: John McCain and his homes Date: 8/21/2008 10:41 PM
"why would you want to keep your name off public records?"

Lots of real estate is held by LLCs....if things go bust, that it is..that is all the assets the corporation holds..

even intercst knows that...

If he had rental property, he would have been advised by a financial planner to put it in an LLC or equivalent...so if one of his renters slipped on the sidewalk and sued for 5 million, they could only go after the assets of the LLC, likely only holding the mortgage on the property....and not intercst directly.

That is why folks use LLCs for rental properties.

But I guess libs that want the state to own everything and provide everything don't know things like that?

t.

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13963 of 59135
Subject: Re: John McCain and his homes Date: 8/21/2008 10:42 PM
0x6a74 asks,

<<<some of the properties are rentals..do those count?

===
I don't think that any of the seven properties on the list are rentals. The LLC and company ownerships were probably done to keep the McCain name off the public property records.>>>>

there it is. "Wild River Rentals" threw me (didn't read carefully) ...if it confused ME, how could anyone expect McCain to know ??
-

The Wild River Rentals condo is the full-time residence of McCain's 20-something daughter Megan McCain.

The Dream Catcher Family LLC condos in SanDiego are the McCains vacation home on Coranado Island. I suspect they have one unit for the parents and another for the kids.

Celebrities and wealthy people often own real estate under a company name to make it harder for stalkers to find them.

intercst

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13964 of 59135
Subject: Re: John McCain and his homes Date: 8/21/2008 10:44 PM
"tis encouraging that she has a Ranch, so's we will continue to be entertained by pictures of The President cuttin-brush™ "

So we saw "Jimmy" catching fish with his brother...??? no wait....he got freaked out on a fishing expendition....just sat around watching the peanuts grow...

And Reagan was off on his horse in California....

Meanwhile, Clinton was collecting tens of millions for the 'Clinton Library' and other funds...as a cover for raising money for Hillary's run for President...... otherwise, probably bonking some more interns.....or whatever he can get his hands on....

Or the Kennedy's sailing off their mansions up in New England, making sure there is no windpower up there since it might impact their view when out yaching around????

t.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13965 of 59135
Subject: Re: John McCain and his homes Date: 8/21/2008 10:56 PM
Celebrities and wealthy people often own real estate under a company name to make it harder for stalkers to find them.

makes sense.

but again raises the question --why only three, why not all their 'homes'?

=

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13966 of 59135
Subject: Re: John McCain and his homes Date: 8/21/2008 11:03 PM
?? i'm serious. guy thinks he's already CiC, can't be worried about his wife's finances. [ when i was married, *i* couldn't have answered "How many cookbooks do you and your wife have?" ]

and looking at intercst's post and some other threads
( http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=26919872 ),
it's even more complicated than i thought...

some are owned by corporations owned by Mrs., do those count
do condos count as homes?
does a compound count as one or three??

all that PLUS as maverickstraighttalingherorepublican , he has to answer every question with short, snappy, STRONG answers.

Can't be doing 'nuance' like, "I don't own ****, my wife owns a ship-load of real estate .. she also owns more shoes that Wal-mart, who could keep track of all that?"

--------------------------------

Yes, I know.
He has to keep track of the important stuff - like all those tanks moving into Atlanta. ;o)

He's an idiot.

AM

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13967 of 59135
Subject: Re: John McCain and his homes Date: 8/21/2008 11:06 PM
-
tis encouraging that she has a Ranch, so's we will continue to be entertained by pictures of The President cuttin-brush™

-----------------------------

Oh my God. Four (or 8) more years of that and I will slit my own throat. (I'm sure that will please a lot of the righties on this board.)

AM
...or, I could just move to Canada -- a very real possibility.

Author: markr33 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13968 of 59135
Subject: Re: John McCain and his homes Date: 8/21/2008 11:09 PM

There is no way for him to know, it is increasing every day through his partial ownership of Wells-Fargo :-)

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13969 of 59135
Subject: Re: John McCain and his homes Date: 8/21/2008 11:11 PM

-----------------------------

Oh my God. Four (or 8) more years of that and I will slit my own throat. (I'm sure that will please a lot of the righties on this board.)

only if you post pix

(>:b

"no pix --> never happened"

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13970 of 59135
Subject: Re: John McCain and his homes Date: 8/21/2008 11:12 PM
"no pix --> never happened"

---------------------

THAT's good to know. ;o)

AM

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13975 of 59135
Subject: Re: John McCain and his homes Date: 8/22/2008 1:48 AM
Recommendations: 2

Or the voters in this case.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13983 of 59135
Subject: Re: John McCain and his homes Date: 8/22/2008 2:48 PM
but again raises the question --why only three, why not all their 'homes'?

aha!

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=26921007&sort=who...

Ariz. is community property state (as is Calif.)-- Mrs. putting the homes in Trusts and shadow-corps so that John doesn't have a claim on them when she dumps him.

=

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (30) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement