UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75616  
Subject: Re: Get on your Congressman's health plan? Date: 10/14/2007 1:49 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
johnmoni writes,

"The Federal Gov't pays 75% of the premium for its workers (including Congressmen.)"

That might be an average. I'm a Federal employee, and looking at my bi-weekly pay statement right now, on which they've recently started showing the Government's piece of the health insurance. For my "family plan," the split is more like 50/50. I have no complaints, because I feel fortunate to have health insurance for my family, but there are many union members who get free health care. So, Federal plans are good, but not even close to being among the best offerred by employers.

</snip>

That's surprising. Your health plan must be on the tail end of the distribution. Here's what the FEHB web site says,

http://www.federaldaily.com/pay/fehbp.htm#rates

FEHB Premium Rates

The premium rates for FEHB plans typically change each year, following the annual contract negotiations between OPM and each insurance carrier. Any new plan rates resulting from these negotiations begin on the first day of the first pay period in January of the following year for active employees, and Jan. 1 for retirees.

FEHB premium costs are shared by the government and the participating employee or annuitant. Under the “Fair Share Formula,” the maximum government contribution is set at 72 percent of the weighted average cost of all plans, not to exceed 75 percent of the cost of any specific plan. The enrollee pays for the balance of the premium cost.

The government contribution is the same for most federal employees, with the following exceptions:

Employees appointed under the Federal Part-Time Career Act of 1978 only receive a portion of the government contribution paid to full-time employees, with the government’s share pro-rated in proportion to the percentage of full-time service regularly performed.

Temporary employees pay the full premium (both the employee and government shares).

The U.S. Postal Service contributes an additional amount, specified in collective bargaining agreements, toward the cost of a postal service employee’s enrollment.

</snip>

intercst
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Ubiquiti Analysis
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement