Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: cheerful Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121114  
Subject: Joint Brokerage account Date: 1/14/2000 11:31 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have a joint account but I have to file tax return separately. I am in the state of New York. Could anyone please kindly help me how the dividend/capital gain is allocated b/w tenants of the accounts? I desparately need this information to make some important decision. Please help!

Also, what happens to the Fool Tax FAQ? I thought there were a lot of things there but now there are only very small # of articles.

Thanks!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25010 of 121114
Subject: Re: Joint Brokerage account Date: 1/14/2000 1:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I have a joint account but I have to file tax return separately. I am in the state of New York. Could anyone please kindly help me how the dividend/capital gain is allocated b/w tenants of the accounts?

I think we need a little more information. Who is the joint account with - your spouse or someone else? Are you married, intending to file a separate return, or are you single?

Also, what happens to the Fool Tax FAQ? I thought there were a lot of things there but now there are only very small # of articles.

I just checked and they all seem to be there. I think the techies at Fool HQ have been updating some things, so maybe you checked at exactly the wrong moment. Check again, and hit "refresh" on your browser if things still don't look right.

--Peter

Author: cheerful Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25019 of 121114
Subject: Re: Joint Brokerage account Date: 1/14/2000 3:03 PM
I am married but have to file separately (by law). The account is with my spouse. Thanks!

--

I have a joint account but I have to file tax return separately. I am in the state of New York. Could anyone please kindly help me how the dividend/capital gain is allocated b/w tenants of the accounts?

I think we need a little more information. Who is the joint account with - your spouse or someone else? Are you married, intending to file a separate return, or are you single?

--Peter

Author: cheerful Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25021 of 121114
Subject: Re: Joint Brokerage account Date: 1/14/2000 3:09 PM
I forgot one important factor in my previous message:

I am married but have to file separately (by law). The joint account is with my spouse.

AND: I have no sale so far, only buys (thus no capital gain). Is there anyway I can transfer the account to under her name or split the account b/w us?

Thanks!

--

--Peter

Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25048 of 121114
Subject: Re: Joint Brokerage account Date: 1/14/2000 6:08 PM
<<I have a joint account but I have to file tax return separately. I am in the state of New York. Could anyone please kindly help me how the dividend/capital gain is allocated b/w tenants of the accounts? I desparately need this information to make some important decision. Please help!>>

I responded to this just a few hours ago. You might want to go back and check my original post.

<<Also, what happens to the Fool Tax FAQ? I thought there were a lot of things there but now there are only very small # of articles.>>

Huh? I thought there might be a problem with the FAQ area. But by my quick count, there are about 100 articles to be found there. So I'm not exactly sure where you are looking, or what you are looking at.

Click at the top of the page for the Taxes FAQ index, and you'll get right to all of the articles. Or you can go to the FAQ main page (http://www.fool.com/school/taxes/taxes.htm) and then check out the "archives" area. You should find all 100 or so of those posts there.

TMF Taxes
Roy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement