Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I had posted this message on the home buying section and it was suggested I post here.

My boyfriend and I bought a home in 1999. We bought it as "Joint Tenants With Rights To Survivership" So if one of us dies the house would belong to the other. We can't sell just our portion. (I did read the previous discussion on the Joint Brokerage Account and don't feel like there is a problem for us)

My question is for filing taxes. If we split the deductions there is little to zero tax benefit. I want to know if just one of us can claim the deductions and if the answer is yes, can the person change from year to year. We can easily have the person that is going to claim the deduction pay the expense.


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.