Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
If a stock is held in 2 names as joint owners with right of survivorship (the owners are not related), do both owners have to pay taxes on the gains or can one owner pay all taxes and/or claim all losses. I assume the company sends the IRS a form showing both owners' SSN? Short of transferring the registration of the stock so that there is only 1 owner, how do I pay all taxes and keep the other owner from getting in trouble with the Feds?

Thanks for any referral to IRS pubs or other printed materials.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.