UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFRadish Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2201  
Subject: Re: %S&P500 Question Date: 4/16/1999 6:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
JON,

I'm starting to think that the value presented is not really the difference between what your stock is earning, verses what the S&P500 is making, but more like a fixed amount based on how long you have held the stock.

“% S&P 500” is the long-term change you would have gotten if you'd invested in the S&P 500 rather than whatever you really did invest in. This assumes that you invest the same amount of money in the S&P 500 as you did in your stocks or funds, and at the same dates. Since we don't know what time you bought your stocks, we just use the closing S&P 500 value from the previous day. Also, dividends from the S&P 500 stocks aren't included, but neither are the fees you'd pay if you invested in an index fund. (For more info, click on the Help link in the blue bar on the My Portfolio page.)

So, the number in this column should be pretty close to the "LT % Val Chg" figure for your VFINX. There are a number of differences between the S&P index and VFINX; as I just mentioned our S&P figure doesn't include dividends, and also VFINX has a small amount in cash at any given moment, invests some in S&P futures rather than the actual stocks, and so on, mostly due to the realities of having people add and remove cash from the fund.

Hope this helps! If not, post on the My Portfolio message board for a prompt reply.

Phil
TMFRadish

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Feste Award Winner Announced!
Congrats to the Winner of the 2013 Feste Award!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement