UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: wzambon Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1947775  
Subject: Jon Stewart on Today's Republican Party Date: 10/8/2012 6:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 94
"I think any time you run an organization where more people believe that the President is a Muslim than believe in evolution… it's a problem."

Jon Stewart
Print the post Back To Top
Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822313 of 1947775
Subject: Re: Jon Stewart on Today's Republican Party Date: 10/8/2012 6:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
"I think any time you run an organization where more people believe that the President is a Muslim than believe in evolution… it's a problem."

Jon Stewart

Well I can't really argue with that. Just as I couldn't argue with it being a problem when a party has some pretty high ranking elected and appointed officials that didn't pay their taxes is an issue. Both parties have their extreme elements, and their dirty elements.

It's partisan voters that get them there, and keep them there.

Author: GrumpyOldGuy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822314 of 1947775
Subject: Re: Jon Stewart on Today's Republican Party Date: 10/8/2012 6:17 PM
Recommendations: 14
I believe in evolution.
I believe Obama evolved from a baby, to a young Muslim, to a young Christian, to a self centered ego maniac, to a useless Senator, to a US President, to a really bad US President, soon to evolve to an ex really bad US President.
Don't tell me I don't believe in science.

Author: wzambon Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822315 of 1947775
Subject: Re: Jon Stewart on Today's Republican Party Date: 10/8/2012 6:20 PM
Recommendations: 0
I believe Obama evolved from a baby, to a young Muslim, to a young Christian, to a self centered ego maniac, to a useless Senator, to a US President, to a really bad US President, soon to evolve to an ex really bad US President.

I can see how a rational human being could come to that conclusion.

I disagree with the analysis... but it isn't crazy like much of the stuff I hear coming from your side.

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822318 of 1947775
Subject: Re: Jon Stewart on Today's Republican Party Date: 10/8/2012 6:23 PM
Recommendations: 3
And here in one sentence captures the problem with the left wing of this country. Perfectly.

First, a caveat: there's no date or link to this statement, so we don't know when he said it. I've seen Jon on other shows and against O'Reilly and he seems like an intelligent guy. Granted, he has to cater to his audience (left wing), so that might have driven some the motivation behind this line.

But let's take it at face value. If we do, we see an issue endemic among democrats and liberals: you all refuse to take the GOP seriously.

That's fine and dandy with me. I personally love it when the opposition gets lazy and is sure it's going to win. Because that's a recipe for an "upset" every. single. time.

Barack Obama by all reports despises Mitt Romney and thinks he's a lightweight. Factor that in with his ginormous ego and we get exactly what we got last week in the first debate: A Presidential sized a$$-kicking. Only it was Mitt wearing the Carharts and Obama clutching his butt cheeks.

I'm all for intellectually lazy liberals who immediately dismiss their opponents. It used to bother me, but since liberalism is a destructive political agenda, it's for the better: let them enjoy losing.

Author: wzambon Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822320 of 1947775
Subject: Re: Jon Stewart on Today's Republican Party Date: 10/8/2012 6:30 PM
Recommendations: 4
But let's take it at face value. If we do, we see an issue endemic among democrats and liberals: you all refuse to take the GOP seriously.

We take you seriously, Dope.... precisely because more Republicans believe Obama is a Muslim than believe in evolution.

Check the percentages... they are easy enough to find.

You're not one of those.... but you are in bed with them.

Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822323 of 1947775
Subject: Re: Jon Stewart on Today's Republican Party Date: 10/8/2012 6:36 PM
I'm stealing your post ;)

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822325 of 1947775
Subject: Re: Jon Stewart on Today's Republican Party Date: 10/8/2012 6:37 PM
We take you seriously, Dope.... precisely because more Republicans believe Obama is a Muslim than believe in evolution.

First off. Let's set me aside.

This election is about the direction of the country. Nobody can look around and say, "Wow, we got our money's worth on the $6 trillion that Obama rang up these last 4 years!"

The reason why Obama got waxed last week is that his entire campaign has been based on painting the GOP as a bunch of wild eyed crazy freaks. INSTEAD OF talking about where he wants to take the country.

Last week, Mitt Romney made him pay for it. Big time. Some polls are showing a 12 point swing. In Romney's favor.

I've said for months that the democrats can't hide from the issues forever. Well, they poked their noses out into the Issue Arena and got clobbered.

You better hope that Obama can run out the clock, and quick. Because if he has 1 more performance like he had last week, he's going to get his clocked cleaned next month.

Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822327 of 1947775
Subject: Re: Jon Stewart on Today's Republican Party Date: 10/8/2012 6:43 PM
It was the altitude.

Romney lied.

He's out of practice

The questions weren't fair.

Jim Lehrer is a stupidhead

Lehrer is old

Big Bird is scared.

Romney lied

Author: LurkerMom Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822333 of 1947775
Subject: Re: Jon Stewart on Today's Republican Party Date: 10/8/2012 6:47 PM

Who is in bed with the lie?

snip
"While Americans across the board get the president's religion wrong, the religious group that most often thinks Obama is Muslim is white evangelical Protestants (24 percent). American unaffiliated with a religious group make the error least often: just 7 percent identify Obama as Muslim."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/10/belief-that-obama-i...

Author: wzambon Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822336 of 1947775
Subject: Re: Jon Stewart on Today's Republican Party Date: 10/8/2012 6:48 PM
Recommendations: 6
I'll stick with "Romney lied."

The other exuses are simply distractions.

Author: 99lashes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822340 of 1947775
Subject: Re: Jon Stewart on Today's Republican Party Date: 10/8/2012 6:55 PM
I believe in evolution.
Don't tell me I don't believe in science.

This is the typical evolution of affirmative action.

Author: wzambon Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822341 of 1947775
Subject: Re: Jon Stewart on Today's Republican Party Date: 10/8/2012 6:57 PM
Recommendations: 10
I am not a white evangelical Protestant, LM.

I am white.
And I am a Protestant.

But white+evangelical+Protestant is the constituency that is almost exclusively Republican.

You know....the ones who include a high number of folks who believe Obama is a Muslim, like I said.

Author: LurkerMom Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822351 of 1947775
Subject: Re: Jon Stewart on Today's Republican Party Date: 10/8/2012 7:47 PM
I am not a white evangelical Protestant, LM.

I am white.
And I am a Protestant.

But white+evangelical+Protestant is the constituency that is almost exclusively Republican.

You know....the ones who include a high number of folks who believe Obama is a Muslim, like I said.

You can spin it any way you want. I am trying to back my replies with links that say otherwise.

Your, "You know....the ones who include a high number of folks who believe Obama is a Muslim, like I said." has already been disputed.
You said,
"Check the percentages... they are easy enough to find.
You're not one of those.... but you are in bed with them."

It is the people of your persuasion who most believe the prez is a Muslim not that of dope1.

the facts,
"While Americans across the board get the president's religion wrong, the religious group that most often thinks Obama is Muslim is white evangelical Protestants (24 percent). American unaffiliated with a religious group make the error least often: just 7 percent identify Obama as Muslim."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/10/belief-that-obama-i......

evangelical
e·van·gel·i·cal ( v n-j l -k l, v n-) also e·van·gel·ic (-j l k). adj. 1. Of, relating to, or in accordance with the Christian gospel, especially one of the four gospel books of ...

snip
"By the late 1930s, conservatives still in the older denominations and those who left but remained friendly (especially Baptists and Presbyterians) made common cause against the separatist position. Although they maintained a commitment to fundamental Christian beliefs, they also declared their willingness to engage in a dialogue with the academy and society. To distinguish themselves from the separatists, they chose to be called Neo-Evangelicals, soon shortened to Evangelicals."

http://m.eb.com/topic/196819

snip
"I am becoming increasingly concerned with the subtle and sometimes not so subtle changes that have been brought about by the philosophies of the "new (neo) evangelical ism." I fear that it is fast becoming the "neo-modernism." I do not know anyone in my circle of influence or ministry that has totally embraced the philosophy of neo-evangelicalism. Nor do I make any claims of being 100% void of any neo-evangelical thought or practice which may have unwittingly influenced my ministry; but to whatever degree it is found, either in the ministry of BDTLB or any other ministry, it is to be repudiated and avoided as a danger to the truth of the gospel of grace."

http://www.gracepoints.com/articles/gplump.php

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822356 of 1947775
Subject: Re: Jon Stewart on Today's Republican Party Date: 10/8/2012 8:47 PM

and ...that simply being Muslim is a Bad Thing™

because Muslims believe in Evolution?

(=

Author: wzambon Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822359 of 1947775
Subject: Re: Jon Stewart on Today's Republican Party Date: 10/8/2012 9:50 PM
Your, "You know....the ones who include a high number of folks who believe Obama is a Muslim, like I said." has already been disputed.

No it hasn't.

You said,
"Check the percentages... they are easy enough to find.
You're not one of those.... but you are in bed with them."

It is the people of your persuasion who most believe the prez is a Muslim not that of dope1.

Au contraire.

My persuasion is not "evangelical Christian", at least in terms of how that term is defined by common political usage in this country.

My persuasion is "liberal Christian". I would hazard the guess that less than 7 % of liberal Christians believe that Obama is Muslim. If you came to the average Presbyterian, or Methodist, or UCC church, or Episcopal Church, you would be laughed out of town if you tried to push the "Obama is a Muslim" idea... and many of those who would laugh you out of town would be Republicans.

the facts,

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/10/belief-that-obama-i.........

As I said.... I am not a white, evangelical protestant, at least according to the common political usage of the term.
This common usage does not resemble the classical definition of "evangelical", which you have only hinted at, below:

evangelical
e·van·gel·i·cal ( v n-j l -k l, v n-) also e·van·gel·ic (-j l k). adj. 1. Of, relating to, or in accordance with the Christian gospel, especially one of the four gospel books of ...

snip
"By the late 1930s, conservatives still in the older denominations and those who left but remained friendly (especially Baptists and Presbyterians) made common cause against the separatist position. Although they maintained a commitment to fundamental Christian beliefs, they also declared their willingness to engage in a dialogue with the academy and society. To distinguish themselves from the separatists, they chose to be called Neo-Evangelicals, soon shortened to Evangelicals."

And many of those "evangelicals" have left, or are in the process of leaving mainline churches. Lots has changed since "the late 1930's".

snip
"I am becoming increasingly concerned with the subtle and sometimes not so subtle changes that have been brought about by the philosophies of the "new (neo) evangelical ism." I fear that it is fast becoming the "neo-modernism." I do not know anyone in my circle of influence or ministry that has totally embraced the philosophy of neo-evangelicalism. Nor do I make any claims of being 100% void of any neo-evangelical thought or practice which may have unwittingly influenced my ministry; but to whatever degree it is found, either in the ministry of BDTLB or any other ministry, it is to be repudiated and avoided as a danger to the truth of the gospel of grace."

http://www.gracepoints.com/articles/gplump.php

I have no background on this guy to be able to assess what he means by the terms that he uses.

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822365 of 1947775
Subject: Re: Jon Stewart on Today's Republican Party Date: 10/8/2012 10:57 PM
Who is John Stewart and who cares what he says?

Author: Theobald64 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822366 of 1947775
Subject: Re: Jon Stewart on Today's Republican Party Date: 10/8/2012 11:05 PM

The reason why Obama got waxed last week is that his entire campaign has been based on painting the GOP as a bunch of wild eyed crazy freaks. INSTEAD OF talking about where he wants to take the country.

I generally agree with this. What is interesting is that the Democrats are trying what didn't work before.

In 2010 the meme was that the Tea Party was a bunch of wild eyed crazy freaks. It largely was bogus. The Democrats basically made a misperception error about what generated the tea party in the first place, it was NOT evangelical moral majority issues, IT WAS TAX ISSUES.

I cannot stress this enough. The Democrats misperception of what the tea party was and was not was a serious error. Worse was that they drank their own kool aid on this beyond 2010, still clinging to the notion that the 700 club types were the tea party. It was daft.

Now they are trying this same strategy again. Had the GOP nominated Perry, it might make some sense, but they didn't nominate Perry, they nominated Romney, who is about as far ideologically from the 700 club crew as I am, and that is a LONG freaking way.

But, hell, maybe it will work out for them. Romney has not been able to break out yet and Obama has very little to run on and even less of a vision for the future other than more of the same.

Author: LurkerMom Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822369 of 1947775
Subject: Re: Jon Stewart on Today's Republican Party Date: 10/8/2012 11:22 PM
No it hasn't.

Oh yes it has...what part of "While Americans across the board get the president's religion wrong, the religious group that most often thinks Obama is Muslim is white evangelical Protestants (24 percent). American unaffiliated with a religious group make the error least often: just 7 percent identify Obama as Muslim...don't you understand?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/10/belief-that-obama-i...

What part of, "evangelical
e·van·gel·i·cal ( v n-j l -k l, v n-) also e·van·gel·ic (-j l k). adj. 1. Of, relating to, or in accordance with the Christian gospel, especially one of the four gospel books of ..." don't you understand?

My persuasion is "liberal Christian

Are you saying you do not believe in the Christian gospel?

I have no background on this guy to be able to assess what he means by the terms that he uses.

Perhaps you don't, but you labled youself as a 'liberal Christian' and the author of the link seems to me to interpret a liberal christain as a 'Neo-Evangelicalism'. Sounds about right to me.

http://www.middletownbiblechurch.org/separate/newevan.htm

Anyhow what one believes is entirely up to the person.....

Author: wzambon Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822376 of 1947775
Subject: Re: Jon Stewart on Today's Republican Party Date: 10/9/2012 12:05 AM
Recommendations: 1

Oh yes it has...what part of "While Americans across the board get the president's religion wrong, the religious group that most often thinks Obama is Muslim is white evangelical Protestants (24 percent). American unaffiliated with a religious group make the error least often: just 7 percent identify Obama as Muslim...don't you understand?

And what part of White Protestant Evangelicals are overwhelmingly Republican.... do you not understand?

Do you need to take a course in set theory or something?

Really, LM.

Author: wzambon Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822377 of 1947775
Subject: Re: Jon Stewart on Today's Republican Party Date: 10/9/2012 12:06 AM
Perhaps you don't, but you labled youself as a 'liberal Christian' and the author of the link seems to me to interpret a liberal christain as a 'Neo-Evangelicalism'. Sounds about right to me.

Please don't embarrass yourself by talking about things that you are obviously ignorant about.

Author: LurkerMom Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822405 of 1947775
Subject: Re: Jon Stewart on Today's Republican Party Date: 10/9/2012 8:19 AM

Please don't embarrass yourself by talking about things that you are obviously ignorant about.

Yes, I know. It must be embarrassing to be perceived as a Neo-Evangelicalism. tsk.

Author: wzambon Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822410 of 1947775
Subject: Re: Jon Stewart on Today's Republican Party Date: 10/9/2012 8:42 AM
Yes, I know. It must be embarrassing to be perceived as a Neo-Evangelicalism. tsk.

Not embarrassing for me.

But if you want to keep posting indecipherable nonsense... hey, go ahead!

Author: LurkerMom Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822411 of 1947775
Subject: Re: Jon Stewart on Today's Republican Party Date: 10/9/2012 9:03 AM

Not embarrassing for me.

But if you want to keep posting indecipherable nonsense... hey, go ahead!

indecipherable nonsense?

Not at all...

http://www.middletownbiblechurch.org/separate/newevan.htm

Author: kenora Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822455 of 1947775
Subject: Re: Jon Stewart on Today's Republican Party Date: 10/9/2012 10:49 AM
If they win it will be the inmates running the asylum.

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822486 of 1947775
Subject: Re: Jon Stewart on Today's Republican Party Date: 10/9/2012 11:47 AM
liberal Christian

Oxymoron.

Author: LurkerMom Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822511 of 1947775
Subject: Re: Jon Stewart on Today's Republican Party Date: 10/9/2012 12:30 PM
liberal Christian

Oxymoron.

lol...

Author: wzambon Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822558 of 1947775
Subject: Re: Jon Stewart on Today's Republican Party Date: 10/9/2012 1:54 PM
liberal Christian

Oxymoron.

No it's not.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822655 of 1947775
Subject: Re: Jon Stewart on Today's Republican Party Date: 10/9/2012 5:02 PM
Just curious...by what metric do you say Obama is "bad"? Please be specific about what he either did or did not do.

Author: SaintPatrick1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822662 of 1947775
Subject: Re: Jon Stewart on Today's Republican Party Date: 10/9/2012 5:26 PM
Hasn't met with his jobs council since February.

Author: wzambon Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822679 of 1947775
Subject: Re: Jon Stewart on Today's Republican Party Date: 10/9/2012 5:47 PM
Hasn't met with his jobs council since February.

Jobs council chairman: Are the Republicans still blocking that Jobs Bill?
Obama: Yup.
Jobs council chairman: Well, no reason to meet then, is there?
Obama: Nope.

Author: SaintPatrick1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822700 of 1947775
Subject: Re: Jon Stewart on Today's Republican Party Date: 10/9/2012 6:13 PM
It's why Obama is such a bad President compared to Clinton. Obama does not deserve a second term. Clinton did.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement