UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 748779  
Subject: Jonathan Winters died, 87 yrs old Date: 4/12/2013 4:48 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
He was funny as heck...just heard about it on NPR...here's a link

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/04/12/177041637/fun...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677558 of 748779
Subject: Re: Jonathan Winters died, 87 yrs old Date: 4/12/2013 4:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Someone posted it on Facebook. I honestly thought he was dead already.

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677560 of 748779
Subject: Re: Jonathan Winters died, 87 yrs old Date: 4/12/2013 4:56 PM
Recommendations: 1
Here's a 2011 interview with him. He put himself in a mental hospital long ago for about 8 months....turned out he was bipolar and turned down shock treatments because he needed that part of him that drove his comedy/humor.

I liked him alot very good at improvisation...just incredible.

all these old people dying....people I grew up watching on tv. I'm getting old too.

LuckyDog

Author: BGinNJ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677601 of 748779
Subject: Re: Jonathan Winters died, 87 yrs old Date: 4/13/2013 1:13 AM
Recommendations: 4
Those old enough may remember Mr. Winters had his own variety show on tv. His cast of characters were on display every week. He also had a lot of top shelf rock n rollers that appeared on his show.

My favorite performance of his hands down is in the 1963 classic Mad, Mad, Mad World. When he destroys the gas station after being knocked out and tied up by the owners (Arnold Stang and Marvin Kaplin), well you dont get any better belly laughs than that. I have watched that scene dozens of times and always feel so much better afterwards.

There were so many excellent comedic legends in that movie, yet it all came together perfectly. It was truly a who's who of comedy greats from the strong primary cast to all of the well done cameos.

Another favorite scene of Jonathans is when the music plays very magically right as he discovers "the Big Dubya" under which the treasure is buried. The whole crazed search for the treasure started when Jimmy Durante's character literally kicks the bucket very early in the movie.

I have to say that I has a very soft spot in my heart for anyone who is regularly able to make me laugh. Mr. Winters was very good at his craft and made me roar with great bursts of laughter so many times over the years. RIP.

BG

Author: BGinNJ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677695 of 748779
Subject: Re: Jonathan Winters died, 87 yrs old Date: 4/13/2013 8:59 PM
This one is for 2828:

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=Awrj4kP7_GlRTmcAIzJXNyoA...

The video quality is not perfect, but it is still an interesting bit of history. This one is from December 1967. Winters show ran from 1967-1969. Sorry for not being patient enough to set up a tiny url.

BG

Author: 307wolverine Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677711 of 748779
Subject: Re: Jonathan Winters died, 87 yrs old Date: 4/14/2013 7:10 AM
Recommendations: 2
For my money, the three funniest men who ever lived were Curly Howard, Walter Matthau, and Johnathan Winters.

Author: BGinNJ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677956 of 748779
Subject: Re: Jonathan Winters died, 87 yrs old Date: 4/16/2013 10:51 AM
<the three funniest men who ever lived were Curly Howard, Walter Matthau, and Johnathan Winters.>

I can't argue with your picks.

Of course there are lots of others that would be on people's lists.

Peter Sellers as Clouseau (not ever as Peter Sellers) could make me laugh witout saying or doing anything.

Stan and Ollie were from a long gone era, but they made me laugh not just from the slapstick, but their characters were childlike and gentle souls at heart.

In looking up some things after hearing about Winters death, I wandered to some links about the Mad, Mad World movie. I found this link to the Rosita Beach podcasts.

http://www.scrabo.com/santarosita.html

Rosita Beach was the fictional setting for the town where the treasure was buried. The podcast I listeded to was #18 from early in 2010. It came out a few weeks after Arnold Stang passed away at age 91. The host played a half hour interview from 1991 where he asked him many questions about the movie and its countless stars. He talks fondly about Winters and how they left him tied up in the chair when they broke for lunch. Arnold also talks about meeting Spencer Tracy for the first time. He was unable to carry on a serious conversation with him because Tracy would start gigglin every time Arnold would speak. Stangs voice and physical appearance often put people in the mood to laugh.

As they say laughter is the best medicine.

BG

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677958 of 748779
Subject: Re: Jonathan Winters died, 87 yrs old Date: 4/16/2013 11:03 AM
Of course there are lots of others that would be on people's lists.

Though young at the time, other than Jonathen Winters, I think the funniest person for me was Red Skeleton, another gentle soul but with a humor that hit home for me. For modern? No one makes me laugh more than Robin Williams used to before he started thinking he is important.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement