UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Chaconne Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 31124  
Subject: Joys of Gardening Date: 5/31/2005 5:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 15
I spent most of the Memorial Day weekend out in my yard, digging borders along the new rose bed on the sunny side of the house, and along the front, where I've got lillies that are ready to POP, some hosta that have been there for a few years, and new plantings of lillies, roses and lace-cap hydrangea (VERY small right now). I also planted several window boxes which I just love.

Early on Saturday evening, after a full day of work (and the weather was wonderful!!!) I had just taken a shower and was listening to some music on the CD player and watched from my living room window as the little girl who lives 2 doors down went waltzing through my front yard, arms stretched above her head, twirling in circles, big grin on her sweet little face. It made me smile.

Sunday, when I was back out working I turned to see her, dressed up in her pink party dress and little sparkled tiara (oh, yes, this little girl is a princess) standing on the sidewalk, looking at me and my little garden. I said, "Hi, whatcha doin'?" "I like your garden" she says. "Thank you very much!", I said, "Want to come see it?". Then she said something about her mommy calling her and off she went.

Funny how such a simple thing as a little girl telling me she liked my garden made my day. But it did.

Andrea
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Chaconne Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18022 of 31124
Subject: Re: Joys of Gardening Date: 5/31/2005 5:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Oh, and I forgot the geraniums, interlaced with the lillies! RED, RED, RED, and they are so beautiful!

Andrea
loving my garden

Author: millerpim Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18023 of 31124
Subject: Re: Joys of Gardening Date: 5/31/2005 6:07 PM
Recommendations: 1
Funny how such a simple thing as a little girl telling me she liked my garden made my day. But it did.

I know just how you feel, Andrea. When we moved into our house almost three years ago, we ended up ripping out most of the flowers and replacing the beds. We now have fuschias blooming, about four-feet tall, under our living room windows. We planted a sago palm and yucca under our closet window. The other beds have a large flowering maple, begonais, impatiens and gerbenia.

Near the sidewalk is a large six-foot square filled with roses and bordered by a bunch of yellow coriopsis. Sometimes I sit on the grass to weed the garden and cut off the deadheads, which can take a while to finish, so I talk with people who walk down the sidewalk with their kids and dogs.

A woman stopped to admire my garden last week. And she said the oddest thing. "I like walking by your house and seeing the drapes open. The Johnsons used to leave the drapes shut all the time, and it made the house look sad." And then she complimented me on our choice of flowers and walked away.

elizabeth

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18026 of 31124
Subject: Re: Joys of Gardening Date: 5/31/2005 6:17 PM
Recommendations: 0
Sunday, when I was back out working I turned to see her, dressed up in her pink party dress and little sparkled tiara (oh, yes, this little girl is a princess) standing on the sidewalk, looking at me and my little garden. I said, "Hi, whatcha doin'?" "I like your garden" she says. "Thank you very much!", I said, "Want to come see it?". Then she said something about her mommy calling her and off she went.

You should see if you could get her to help out. Kids love working in gardens. I think it's something about legally getting dirty.
Kathleen

Author: horacekgl Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18032 of 31124
Subject: Re: Joys of Gardening Date: 6/1/2005 8:10 AM
Recommendations: 6
My wife has a "fairy garden" in the forest that is open to all the little girls in the neighborhood to visit. Some times they bring there own fairies to play. It really cute.

The little boys are much more interested in the pond with its frogs and gold fish. Unfortunately, they are more likely to take something home than bring something, but their naked exuberance is still refreshing.

Spring in our neck of the woods is indeed lovely. The iris are open and the hostas, astilbes, and bleeding hearts are growing like gangbusters. If we can continue to keep the deer at bay we are in for a treat this year. The forest is full of ferns, rue anemome, and of course the pervasive May Flower (our drought ended three years ago so we are seeing more and more native stuff showing up).

We had a yearling bear digging for ground squirrels in the side yard (500 feet away) the other night at dusk, but he ran off up the hill where the dens are located when we made ourselves known. The next night I spotted a black panther (small, maybe 40 lbs) out by the pond; these are so rare that only the "old timers" describe having seen them. I feel very privileged. Other wildlife making visits lately include wild turkeys, a solitary bobcat, some hedgehogs, a red fox, and of course the geese (the association will be treating the lake soon, so the geese will move on). These are just the critters I've seen; I'm sure there are others. The squirrels seem to have hidden or perhaps they are just harder to notice now. Surprisingly for a forested region, we really don't have a lot of birds (nor do we have many insects usually).

Gosh I love my little corner of this world. I'm trying to get my enthusiatic gardener of a wife to slow down and enjoy what she has wrought. Last weekend I built two rough tables (to place pots, odds and ends, etc on as visual attractions) out of some saplings we culled. Chain saw, twine, a few nails and time. Put in some new pathways through the forest (cleared a path and covered it with woodchips) and have begun to build benches that I "hide" in various places to encourage people to sit and enjoy.

glh

Author: buffalogal100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18033 of 31124
Subject: Re: Joys of Gardening Date: 6/1/2005 9:32 AM
Horace, your garden and wooded area sounds beautiful! All I have is the typical rectangular suburban backyard but I do what I can to make it look nice. My neighbor's daughter says it looks 'pristine' which isn't anywhere near that description, really, but it was a nice compliment for her to give. It's foggy today so I'm going to head out to my favorite garden center and get more stuff - perfect day for planting as long as the fog doesn't burn off too quickly.

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18035 of 31124
Subject: Re: Joys of Gardening Date: 6/1/2005 11:06 AM
Gosh I love my little corner of this world. I'm trying to get my enthusiatic gardener of a wife to slow down and enjoy what she has wrought. Last weekend I built two rough tables (to place pots, odds and ends, etc on as visual attractions) out of some saplings we culled. Chain saw, twine, a few nails and time. Put in some new pathways through the forest (cleared a path and covered it with woodchips) and have begun to build benches that I "hide" in various places to encourage people to sit and enjoy.

It sounds wonderful!!
Kathleen

Author: Chaconne Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18036 of 31124
Subject: Re: Joys of Gardening Date: 6/1/2005 11:54 AM
You should see if you could get her to help out. Kids love working in gardens. I think it's something about legally getting dirty.
Kathleen

I don't think she would like her party dress to get dirty. And that's all I ever see her wear.

Besides, I've got a helper, my cat Frankie. He likes to dig up the mulch.

Andrea

Author: mishedlo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18044 of 31124
Subject: Re: Joys of Gardening Date: 6/1/2005 11:54 PM
Wow - Your fairy garden sounds fantastic

Mish

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement