Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
This IRC stuff is really starting to bug me!

Boy, it is annoying sometimes, isn't it?

Okay, if the mortgage angle or the house as investment angle aren't kosher, can I just deduct the margin interest I'm being charged due to holding my stock position?

Well, yeah, that's kind of what happens. You report the investment interest, deduct up to your net investment income, then carry the rest over to next year. In the following year, you add the carry over to the current year's interest, deduct the allowable amount, and carry over again. When you decide to sell the stock (presumably with a big gain) the gain is part of the investment income and you'll use up most or all of the carryover.

Now for the planning ideas. If you used the margin loan to get a house, why don't you refinance the house, pay the margin loan, and deduct your interest now instead of later?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.