UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: leech8 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308517  
Subject: Juggling CC debt vs e-fund Date: 11/17/2003 4:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I currently have about 2,000 in CC debt at 8% or less. Meanwhile I also have about 3,000 in an e-fund at 1.95%. Right now $400 or more per month goes to the CCs per month (in addition to some previous cashing out of savings to buy it down a bit.) My CCinterest-aversion instinct tells me to pay off the CC with savings, But although my job is quite secure I am a bit uneasy about that drastic of a reduction in my e-fund. (The e-fund is also funded in increments of about 400/month.) The financial-stratego side of my personality says that it would be a good character building exercise to pay this of over time as I can afford to out of current income.

This is somewhat analogous to learning to juggle (many a career has been stunted by day jobs). When learning to juggle many beginners tend to get their juggling pattern going and then find the balls -- which they controlled a the onset -- to get further and further away from their body until they are out of reach and drop to the ground. There are two common approaches to correct this tendancy to overextend.

The first approach is to set rigid limits. For the juggler this means to juggle while standing facing a wall. Your lack of control causes you to bounce the balls off of the wall and over time if you choose to learn from your mistakes you will learn not to overextend yourself.

The second approach is to walk backwards while juggling. This is my preferred method for teaching new jugglers control. The rearward motion forces you to think about where you will be in the future and planning each toss so the ball lands exactly where you plan to be when the ball lands. This also gives you more distance from the wall, which means that should you even loose control you have more time to recover before hitting it.

A third scenario features a begining juggler who starts to lean forward to catch slightly out of range throws, but the off-balance position causes the next throw to overextend them a bit more and they step forward once, then twice, and before long they are running, which seems fine until they throw far enough away that they can't keep up or they run into an unforseen object (say a park grill or firehydrant).

Anyhow, I feel I need to back off on my spending so I can afford to pay more quckly on the debt. I hope this will not only eliminate the debt burden but also teach more controlled spending, rather than just eliminating the debt and assuming and hoping I learned my lesson.

leech8
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Brookfield Asset Management
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement