UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: EdParty Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 89029  
Subject: Jumping the Shark? Date: 1/29/2002 11:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 9
As a reader and not a poster, it is my opinion that the discussion boards attract crowds of visitors to the site that are then exposed to relentless pop-under ads, banners and associated partner's commercials and product advertising, plus “shameless plugs.” These common annoyances are tolerated since it's understood that someone has to pay the rent. I think the community of prolific posters makes the discussion boards a vibrant and popular place and their input is “payment” enough, especially when combined with the advertising bombardment. The Fool's seeding of the boards with 1000 free subscriptions will likely avoid a precipitous drop in board activity but charging those most responsible for the Fool's popularity may be remembered as the point where the Fool “jumped the shark.”
May Ye Have Good Luck at Fool Headquarters.
edparty
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFWizard Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23280 of 89029
Subject: Re: Jumping the Shark? Date: 1/29/2002 11:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 19
The Fool's seeding of the boards with 1000 free subscriptions will likely avoid a precipitous drop in board activity but charging those most responsible for the Fool's popularity may be remembered as the point where the Fool “jumped the shark.”

Now?

C'mon Ed....now? You think The Motley Fool is JUST getting around to jumping the shark?

Have you even read some of the postings over the last few years? Look around, Ed! If you're looking for someone to take your bet on THIS being the time that the Fool jumped the shark, you're going to be looking for a long time.

I've been here for nearly five years. And in my time I've seen and heard people refer to The Motley Fool jumping the shark when we:

- Left AOL to start our own website, Fool.com

- started a syndicated newspaper column ("Those guys are only on the internet, they'll never make it in newspapers.")

- started a nationally syndicated radio show ("Don't they realize no one wants to listen to them? The Fool is to be read, not heard!")

- started to send David and Tom Gardner out on the road to give public speeches (search TheStreet.com for an article in 1998 by Cory Johnson, in which Mr. Johnson essentially says TMF is dead because we've started to broaden to other media. Of course, this was well before TheStreet.com started publishing books and producing a radio show)

- launched The Motley Fool UK

To quote Yul Brenner, "et cetera, et cetera, et cetera." I could go on and on, but why bother?

Ed....You want to predict the death of The Motley Fool?

Get in line. :-)

Author: eswan Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23285 of 89029
Subject: Re: Jumping the Shark? Date: 1/30/2002 12:04 AM
Recommendations: 2
Ed....You want to predict the death of The Motley Fool?

Get in line. :-)

Yeah I got to had it to you fools, things look like they are going smashingly well.

"Which way is up on this chart"?

Author: TMFEdible Big red star, 1000 posts Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23299 of 89029
Subject: Re: Jumping the Shark? Date: 1/30/2002 12:37 AM
Recommendations: 4

Ed, as long as Ted McGinley isn't crowned as the new Fool CEO, I trust we will be in good shape! :)

http://www.jumptheshark.com/ted.htm

Author: EGUSC Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23319 of 89029
Subject: Re: Jumping the Shark? Date: 1/30/2002 1:38 AM
Recommendations: 3
I though it was a great post, I too think the fool has jumped the shark.

TMFWizard used some very faulty logic, just because others before have wrongly claimed that the fools had "jumping the shark" does not mean or have any bearing on weather the fools have just "jumped the shark". Remember, happy days had many outrageous episodes before it jumped the shark. Your argument would have much more weight if it had reason and facts behind it about why you think that the fool is not jumping the shark, instead of discussing past events that have no bearing on if the fool did indeed jumped the shark yesterday.

As for my opinion about the fool decision I can't figure it out or make any sense of it, it seems to run against how I would model the business but I don't understand the fool business structure, cost structure, and how revenue sources are divided. I know the website has outside investors, this could complicate things. My way of thinking is that the real money comes from books, radio and Gardner speaking fees. This is high gross margin revenue. The fool model in my opinion would be too maximize users to the website so that they would bring in new users to the website that might buy books, listen to the radio and with broader appeal Tom and David could charge an arm and a leg on the speaker circuit.

Hopefully ad revenue would almost cover the cost of the website. And since, (I think but don't know for a fact) discussion boards would be a less expensive way to get people to the website than articles or other content I would encourage posters to give me free content.

Maybe Tom and Dave get to keep all the Book and speaking revenue and the investor only get profits from the website. This could explain the $30 fee, but I think might lead to fewer people that feel part of the community and less total revenue in the long run.

Good luck to all and especially the Fool,

Author: TMFBogey Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23338 of 89029
Subject: Re: Jumping the Shark? Date: 1/30/2002 4:10 AM
Recommendations: 3
Why do I feel like Scott Bao just came into the room?

:)

Author: EGUSC Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23425 of 89029
Subject: Re: Jumping the Shark? Date: 1/30/2002 12:42 PM
Recommendations: 1
Well i am incredible good looking like Scott Bao :)

Author: Iwontpay Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23426 of 89029
Subject: Re: Jumping the Shark? Date: 1/30/2002 12:44 PM
Recommendations: 6
"You want to predict the death of The Motley Fool?

Get in line. :-)"

Remember, Happy Days lasted for years after the shark episode, but it was never the same. Jumping the shark does not mean the end, just the beginning of the end.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement