UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: imcharliehm Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35362  
Subject: Junk Bonds, Funds, Diversification Date: 5/30/2002 10:49 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
On the whole I hate bond funds, but if you are going to get high yield ones, you want a bond pro doing the picking, and you want to be diversified--many issues, so if there is a mistake, it isn't 50% of your portfolio.
Best wishes, Chris

Chris,

I, too, don't like bond funds, except for emerging market debt funds and Benham's Target Maturity Trust funds. In all other cases, I think individual bonds are the better choice, and especially for speculative-grade corporates.

For the sake of discussion, what are your thoughts on diversification?
Specifically, how many issues would it take to be prudently diversified if one were attempting to put together a high-yield portfolio? (as opposed to an investment-grade one, where, presumably the threshold would be lower).

And so this doesn't come across as a leading question, but as a back-and-forth of ideas, I'll comment on the parameters I apply to my own portfolio: 30 to 40 issuers, diversifed by industry, in lots of 5 to 10 bonds each, rather than a constant dollar amounts, so that the riskier the issue is, the fewer dollars absolutely I have committed to the position, with any one position being no more than 3.3% of my total portfolio (which includes other asset classes.)

TIA, Charlie

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Kate Spade's Wild Ride
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement