UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: jpkiljan One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 745980  
Subject: Re: Confused Date: 3/17/2000 2:17 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Just a few quick notes: If you can withdraw your 401k without penalty at 55, that may (or may not) be a better deal rolling it over into a 'Rollover IRA' where you will have to hold it till 59-1/2 unless you take advantage of some pretty inflexable early withdrawal plans (72t rules, I think). Sorry to say, that when (and if) you do withdraw from your rollover IRA you will still be taxed on your withdrawals as income not capital gain. The stock portion of your 401k is a different animal altogether and might be eligible for paying just capital gains taxes if you do it right. How regular people figure all this out is beyond me. I doubt, too, the financial advice professionals get it right every time. I'm going through the same thing with my 401k (to roll or not to roll is the question)and I am going to have to spend some serious time with a spreadsheet before I am comfortable with my answer. Good luck, -- John

RJW wrote:

Okay...i'm confused about all of this. I have a 401K with mutual funds and company stock bought with
the company match. Sounds like when I retire at 55 I could leave my 401K intack and draw money from
it without paying a 10% penalty. I checked and it's okay with them. It also sounds like I would be better
off if I roll the 401K into an IRA and take advantage of getting a cost basis for the stock and pay tax on
the capital gains rather than paying tax on the money withdrawn as normal income. I have worked there
for 30 years so the cost basis is probably going to be low. It also sounds like if all this is not done just
right I could end up paying the 10% penalty. To be sure this is all done correctly and in a way that will be
financially to my advantage I would feel a lot better having a professional do it. I would like to have
control over my money and not relay on a financial advisor. Who do I have set this up so I know it's
done right.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement