Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: wecoguy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 71048  
Subject: Re: onboard navigation - worth it? Date: 4/1/2014 11:56 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Just a note on using newer Garmin's....and I am sure other manufacturers GPS. I bought my wife a Garmin nüvi 3490LMT. It has the newer touch screens (like android/iPhone) and uses apps and tosses the Atari 2600 look of the old models. It is also lightning fast. Larger screen is also very nice.

When using phones, there are disadvantages. You need a cellular connection and a decent data plan to deal with the traffic or need to pay for an app that lets you do it all offline. In addition, making phone calls and using maps at the same time can be interesting. The smaller screen, especially with the iPhone, can be a challenge also.

Not saying you can't use a phone to do it all.......but I haven't found it better. Garmin's OBDII addon also links into their mechanic app on either Android or iOS.....nice plus.

Yes, my old nuvi 670 is way back in the history of Garmin, Atari or worse is right.. I bought it thinking it could be handy in Europe, tried it once, so slow, clunky I went back to a compass and maps.. This after trips where we were totally turned around, need that little compass in any case I think.

With two of us in the car, I leave it to my DW navigator, but yes, an individual, I'd pull over once in a while to check where I'm heading.. In cities, cell phones win as, well I know the iPhone uses Assisted GPS, so it works fine in the tall buildings, even indoors, the old Garmin, just couldn't connect to a satellite..

Good to know Garmin has been evolving, they used to have a booth at MacWorld in Sf, handy to go talk tot he techs, see what the latest developments are, what's in the works, etc. BUt they, others like Nikon no longer go, as it's all to do with the iPhone/iPad today.. I didn't even go the last few years...

May need to have both, phone/ipad app, and dedicated Garmin...

I need to find out if my iPhone GPS will work without cellular... We were in Pinnacles Nat'l Park last year, no service at all, even VZ, but I don't remember trying the GPS...

Thanks for the info....
weco
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Mylan Transitioning from Generics
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement