UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (39) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: MSATKINSON Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1976264  
Subject: Just a thought Date: 11/8/2000 10:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
I am readily admit that I am biased towards the Republican party. I for one feel that the recount will in the end vindicate the intial results of last night. My question or questions to pose towards you all are follows: Would the Democrats be as concerned with everyones right to vote if the vote had gone the other way? Where does one's responsibility start and end in voting? Does dragging the outcome out for as long as possible serve in the end the US public?

I for one have my own answers to these questions. I for one don't think that Father Internet(what I call the Vice President) would give a rats a## if it was the other way. Reverend Jackson would not be in Dade County seeking Republicans who feel that they were left out of the process. If you don't have the responsibility to take the time to read the ballot maybe you should not vote anyway. Dragging it out after the recount does nothing but make me feel like Father Internet is a sore loser. I'll stop there because I can feel my blood pressure rising. My rants on Father Internet and the Democrat party could go on forever and probably wouldn't do any of us any good. Thanks for listening and any comments would be most welcome.

Mike
Print the post Back To Top
Author: bawitham Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6328 of 1976264
Subject: Re: Just a thought Date: 11/8/2000 10:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Would the Democrats be as concerned with everyones right to vote if the vote had gone the other way?

Would the Republicans be so unconcerned if the vote had gone the other way?

Print the post Back To Top
Author: Counterattack Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6338 of 1976264
Subject: Re: Just a thought Date: 11/8/2000 10:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Mike,

A few years ago we had a similar sitaution in Maryland's gubernatorial race, with the roles reversed. The Republican who lost by about 2000 votes filed suit because of voting irregularities for all the traditional reasons that you see everytime someone loses a close election: voter confusion, voter intimidation, and dead people voting. Maryland's trial court rejected the case and the Republican candidate chose not to appeal. Neverthless, four years later the same two candidates ran against each other again and the Republican lost handily. Putting the state through a legal challenge four years earlier couldn't have helped in the second election.

If the recount affirms Bush's victory and if Gore decides to file a legal challenge based on the information we have now, he will surely lose in the dispassionate setting of a courtroom and perhaps even jeopardize any future presidential ambitions in the process. The smart long-term move for Gore would be to concede defeat (assuming the recount doesn't change anything) and spend the next four years getting to know his people back home in Tennessee, which is all he'd need next time to win.



Print the post Back To Top
Author: mjhvalsrch Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6356 of 1976264
Subject: Re: Just a thought Date: 11/8/2000 11:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I too was struck by Tennessee voting for Bush. When we spoke about the election at work this afternoon, I said that as little as I thought about Bush, at least the home state supported him.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: mjhvalsrch Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6359 of 1976264
Subject: Re: Just a thought Date: 11/8/2000 11:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
As little as I personally think of Gov. Bush and cringe at the thought that he is so close to the White House; at least he won his home state.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: pdigi Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6360 of 1976264
Subject: Re: Just a thought Date: 11/8/2000 11:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Would the Republicans be so unconcerned if the vote had gone the other way?

For an answer, may I refer you to Richard Milhous Nixon, circa 1960.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: ppomi One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6363 of 1976264
Subject: Re: Just a thought Date: 11/8/2000 11:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
According to the Lehrer news hour, the answer is that the Republicans were well-researched and ready to roll with a challenge -- legal, political -- to a loss in the electoral college and a popular victory win. Meanwhile, I'll bet you big bucks Al Gore concedes gracefully if he loses a recount.

John

Print the post Back To Top
Author: Maraith Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6364 of 1976264
Subject: Re: Just a thought Date: 11/8/2000 11:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
>>Dragging it out after the recount does nothing but make me feel like Father Internet is a sore loser. I'll stop there because I can feel my blood pressure rising.<<

I won't bother stating what many have said umpteen times, that Gore didn't say what the media delighted in quoting about the Internet. Those who persist in quoting it, even knowing it's wrong, are beneath notice. (And I feel the same way about that scanner lie about George Sr. in the '92 election.)

Anyway, I'm a Gore voter. I think what should happen - and believe will - is that the votes will be recounted as required by FL law anyway and Bush will likely be the winner. Gore will not challenge in the courts, he will concede like a gentleman. And I hope all who have abused him will acknowledge his classy action.

What I also HOPE will happen is that given this election, all the election commissions across the country will be required to review their procedures (from ballot design to pollworkers to counting process) and bring them up-to-date and into conformance with good design and process logic. This election has revealed a sorry situation that should be addressed in every state.

Maraith

Print the post Back To Top
Author: mcemerson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6365 of 1976264
Subject: Re: Just a thought Date: 11/8/2000 11:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
I'll bet you big bucks Al Gore concedes gracefully if he loses a recount.

If he does it'll be first time he's ever done anything gracefully until then.....How much?

Print the post Back To Top
Author: tensforme Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6374 of 1976264
Subject: Re: Just a thought Date: 11/9/2000 12:08 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Mike,

I agree with you 100%. What our country has been putting up with these last 8 years is an administration full of hypocrites, liars and bullies.

They seem to feel - Hillary, Billary and Algore - that the American "laws" don't apply to them. Only to others who don't have the power of the Justice Dept. behind them. The "double standards" are galling.
Education and vouches being only one example.

Charlie

Print the post Back To Top
Author: montashigi Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6376 of 1976264
Subject: Re: Just a thought Date: 11/9/2000 12:24 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
ppomi--
Meanwhile, I'll bet you big bucks Al Gore concedes gracefully if he loses a recount.

I would be very surprised and disappointed if Gore concedes on the first recount, assuming he loses it. The Richard Nixon "don't wanna divide the country" argument doesn't wash here. The U.S. is not in a Cold War, and we don't have any other crisis, foreign or domestic. Despite being very close, this election hasn't exposed or developed any deep divisions in the country. Most people I've talked to today are just thrilled the vote has turned out like this. It's like a sporting event. Contrast with 1960, where you had not only the Cold War, but desegregation in the South. Right now, instead of being on the verge of a civil war, it's more like overtime in the Super Bowl. Gore should prolong the process just for entertainment value.

Some people on this board are carrying on like Gore would be trying to pull a fast one if he challenges the first recount. How do you figure? If there were problems with the election that might have skewed enough votes, it would be a miscarriage of democratic principles to let the inaccurate results stand. Gore isn't just fighting for himself here. Republicans are calling for him to be a nice guy and concede, but there are almost 49 million people all over the country who voted for him, and giving up before making sure the vote in Florida is completely kosher would leave all those people high and dry. Besides, it might not ultimately be in Gore's power to concede. Private citizens in Florida are challenging the Palm Beach ballot in court, and Jesse Jackson will likely launch legal actions as well. Given the fact that a bunch of amateurs are going to carry on the fight anyway, Gore has to let the pros on his campaign team loose on the process.

Here's something for Bushies to think about. What if W loses the recount? I haven't heard any allegations of impropriety that might have helped Bush, but I'm sure Republican lawyers can dig something up. Since Gore will likely win the national popular vote (getting close: less than 100,000 vote difference), would Bush have a moral leg to stand on for a challenge? Gore will have many avenues to explore if he loses the recount plus the overseas absentee, but for Bush, it might be do or die.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ericb888 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6380 of 1976264
Subject: Re: Just a thought Date: 11/9/2000 12:36 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
pdigi wrote:

"For an answer, may I refer you to Richard Milhous Nixon, circa 1960."




I refer you to the Indiana 8th district in 1985.



Print the post Back To Top
Author: mcemerson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6385 of 1976264
Subject: Re: Just a thought Date: 11/9/2000 12:47 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Here's something for Bushies to think about. What if W loses the recount? I haven't heard any allegations of impropriety that might have helped Bush

I have, people that were mailed absentee ballots in Dade county flocked in and signed an affidavit to get another ballot, voting twice.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: mcemerson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6388 of 1976264
Subject: Re: Just a thought Date: 11/9/2000 12:52 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
pdigi wrote:

"For an answer, may I refer you to Richard Milhous Nixon, circa 1960."

eric888 wrote:

I refer you to the Indiana 8th district in 1985.

Oh that was graceful. Democrats stealing an election after it was certified. Probably the single biggest reason that bi-partisanship is dead.


Print the post Back To Top
Author: ericb888 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6393 of 1976264
Subject: Re: Just a thought Date: 11/9/2000 1:05 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
mcemerson wrote:

"Oh that was graceful. Democrats stealing an election after it was certified. Probably the single biggest reason that bi-partisanship is dead. "




Here's a brief summary for those who don't know about it. Not enough info presented to judge who was right. I don't know much more; I was too young at the time. But it's an example of what can happen when fighting breaks out, regardless of who is right and who is wrong. A similar situation in a presidential election could be disastrous.

http://www.cnn.com/video/politics/2000/11/08/bj.ugly.recount.cnn.rm80.ram




Print the post Back To Top
Author: mcemerson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6397 of 1976264
Subject: Re: Just a thought Date: 11/9/2000 1:22 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
But it's an example of what can happen when fighting breaks out, regardless of who is right and who is wrong. A similar situation in a presidential election could be disastrous.

I couldn't agree more, it would be a disaster. See bi-partisanship lives. :~)

Print the post Back To Top
Author: KentuckyLiz Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6416 of 1976264
Subject: Re: Just a thought Date: 11/9/2000 7:53 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
What I also HOPE will happen is that given this election, all the election commissions across the country will be required to review their procedures (from ballot design to pollworkers to counting process) and bring them up-to-date and into conformance with good design and process logic. This election has revealed a sorry situation that should be addressed in every state.

The West Palm Beach ballot was designed in larger print so the feeblegeezers could read it, and it was reviewed and approved by the local and state election board.

This part of your post makes it sound like the ballot was done without thought or review...and that is not the case.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6418 of 1976264
Subject: Re: Just a thought Date: 11/9/2000 7:56 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I too was struck by Tennessee voting for Bush. When we spoke about the election at work this afternoon, I said that as little as I thought about Bush, at least the home state supported him.

Tennessee is an overwhelmingly Republican state. It has a Republican Governor, two Republican Senators, six Republican Representatives and only one Democratic one.

Tennessee, like most of the South, moved out of the "Democratic" column and into the "Republican" one during the 70's and 80's, because of the Democratic support of minority civil rights legislation and other issues which became important to "conservatives" and which were outside the purview of the traditional old-line Democratic bloc. The emergence of Wallace, then Nixon, and finally Reagan destroyed the old line Democratic coalition in the south, as a quick glance at the pretty blue and red maps all over TV surely proves.

Al Gore unquestionably was helped into office by his father's name, the Senior having been widely respected throughout the state and the nation, having gained his stature when the Democrats were in power decades before. Junior hasn't actually run in a Tennessee state election since the 1980's, and things have changed even more since then.

I guess all of that is to say that I found it mildly, but not wildly surprising that he did not carry Tennessee. His running mate didn't exactly help him there either. Jews in Tennessee are almost as rare as creme pastries at a kosher deli.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: MSATKINSON Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6435 of 1976264
Subject: Re: Just a thought Date: 11/9/2000 8:40 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Several things stick out to me about the recent posts to my original one. First if Gore concedes after a recount I for one will be the most surprised and happy Republican this side of GW. I in my heart do not see this happening for one reason. He has over 50 lawyers lining up for his cause. He works for the most litigation happy administration in the history of the US. My gut feeling is that he will not go away until the Supreme Court tells him adious see ya in four years for the next election. Didn't democrats(supposedly without Gore's endorsement)supply homeless people in Wisconsin with cigarettes to vote? Not only does this go against the whole Democrat party line on tobacco but it sounds as if they feel that they are above the law. Democrats are for the people. But it has to be the right people who think just like Reverend Jackson, Hillary, Slick Willie, and Father Internet. The party of inclusion does not want to include anyone who feels differently than they do and that in and of itself is a joke. Here is to hoping the vote in Florida holds up b/c I am not sure I can take another four years of Gore.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: RussellBeesBoy3 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6628 of 1976264
Subject: Re: Just a thought Date: 11/9/2000 12:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
msatkinson said: Would the Democrats be as concerned with everyones right to vote if the vote had gone the other way? Where does one's responsibility start and end in voting?

Mike,
Great question. In my view, this directly fits with what I thought the election was all about. Dubya consistently talked about people being being responsible for their own actions. Bore consistently preached about Government taking responsibility for everyone. Now, post-election, that division in philosophy is even more glaringly apparent.

Steve

Print the post Back To Top
Author: MSATKINSON Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6632 of 1976264
Subject: Re: Just a thought Date: 11/9/2000 1:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Steve
Well put. I find it quite ironic that people are protesting a ballot that their own party designed and signed off on. Vice-President Father Internet will do anything to cast a shadow on this election b/c he lost. If his "people" are not responsible enough to vote properly than that is their own fault not Bush's. Revote is a joke and everyone knows it.
Mike

Print the post Back To Top
Author: KentuckyLiz Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6633 of 1976264
Subject: Re: Just a thought Date: 11/9/2000 1:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Re-vote is not only a joke, it's incredibly unfair to the rest of the country. If one happens, the WPB voters know how close it is and that they will determine who the President is and it will attract fraud.

Even if fraud is controlled, more WPBers will vote in a revote than turned out the first time.

They will have "special knowledge" that the rest of us did not have the benefit of.

Do-overs are for kids!!!

Print the post Back To Top
Author: LessTraveled One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6726 of 1976264
Subject: Re: Just a thought Date: 11/9/2000 3:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
Probably the single biggest reason that bi-partisanship is dead.


As a lawyer who has been active behind the scenes in politics a long time I've kept up with a number of colleagues who have worked in Congress either as aides, legal counsel or lobbyists -- people who represent "both sides of the political aisle." Almost to a person, they agree about when any semblence of decorum and bipartisanship in modern times died. It was when Newt Gingrinch first took the podium in the well of the House, and started the war that the pundits now call "the politics of personal destruction."

What Mr. Gingrinch started, both sides have managed to help sustain, no doubt. But it is immensely clear that for the last eight years, the only consistent agenda run by the Republican Party has been to defame their "enemies" across the aisle.

Folks, the Bible and the Great Republican Abraham Lincoln were both right: "A house divided against itself cannot stand." If Democrats and Republicans see each other as "enemies" instead of as rivals loyal to the same great nation, the bitterness and gridlock will continue forever. No nation can continue to be a great under that strain.

As for me, I hope we will all soon learn to take the road
LessTraveled

Print the post Back To Top
Author: KentuckyLiz Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6728 of 1976264
Subject: Re: Just a thought Date: 11/9/2000 3:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
...and Newt Gingrich was a result of Indiana 8.

It destroyed people's trust and each party felt the other party was in bad faith.

Newt wasn't the cause, just a more obvious, later symptom.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: mcemerson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6739 of 1976264
Subject: Re: Just a thought Date: 11/9/2000 3:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
What Mr. Gingrinch started, both sides have managed to help sustain, no doubt. But it is immensely clear that for the last eight years, the only consistent agenda run by the Republican Party has been to defame their "enemies" across the aisle.

Well that's certainly Democratic point of view. I've watched C-SPAN and seen and heard Democrats on the floor of the House comparing Republicans to Nazi's on several ocassions. Mean spirited is probably the single most overused phrase in any Democrats speech. But as you said it must be the Republicans who are at fault.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: bawitham Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6744 of 1976264
Subject: Re: Just a thought Date: 11/9/2000 3:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Well that's certainly Democratic point of view. I've watched C-SPAN and seen and heard Democrats on the floor of the House comparing Republicans to Nazi's on several ocassions. Mean spirited is probably the single most overused phrase in any Democrats speech. But as you said it must be the Republicans who are at fault.

Mean spiritedness is not confined to either party.

Tell me, do you think all Republicans are saints?

Print the post Back To Top
Author: mcemerson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6753 of 1976264
Subject: Re: Just a thought Date: 11/9/2000 3:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Well that's certainly Democratic point of view. I've watched C-SPAN and seen and heard Democrats on the floor of the House comparing Republicans to Nazi's on several ocassions. Mean spirited is probably the single most overused phrase in any Democrats speech. But as you said it must be the Republicans who are at fault.

Mean spiritedness is not confined to either party.

True, but I can't think of a single ocassion that a Republican member of the House or Senate called a Democrat a Nazi or mean spirited.

Tell me, do you think all Republicans are saints?

Not at all I think they're elected officials, same as the Democrats but no one is ever going to convince me that the current lack of comity in politics is the fault of Republicans.



Print the post Back To Top
Author: bawitham Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6758 of 1976264
Subject: Re: Just a thought Date: 11/9/2000 3:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Not at all I think they're elected officials, same as the Democrats but no one is ever going to convince me that the current lack of comity in politics is the fault of Republicans.

Then you are just as close-minded and hypocritical as you claim Democrats to be.



Print the post Back To Top
Author: mcemerson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6765 of 1976264
Subject: Re: Just a thought Date: 11/9/2000 4:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Not at all I think they're elected officials, same as the Democrats but no one is ever going to convince me that the current lack of comity in politics is the fault of Republicans.

Then you are just as close-minded and hypocritical as you claim Democrats to be.

First of all find an instance where I called Democrats closed minded or hypocrits (except the cigarettes for votes deal, that is hypocritical). Secondly it is not closed minded to review the evidence (I have) and make a determination (I did).

Print the post Back To Top
Author: bawitham Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6770 of 1976264
Subject: Re: Just a thought Date: 11/9/2000 4:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
First of all find an instance where I called Democrats closed minded or hypocrits (except the cigarettes for votes deal, that is hypocritical). Secondly it is not closed minded to review the evidence (I have) and make a determination (I did).

Oh please, I know very well what your opinion of Democrats is. I'm not going to waste my valuable time tracking down every little thing you said about Democrats. My review of your comments over the past months makes me determine that you have not one good thing to say about them.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: mcemerson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6778 of 1976264
Subject: Re: Just a thought Date: 11/9/2000 4:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
First of all find an instance where I called Democrats closed minded or hypocrits (except the cigarettes for votes deal, that is hypocritical). Secondly it is not closed minded to review the evidence (I have) and make a determination (I did).

Oh please, I know very well what your opinion of Democrats is. I'm not going to waste my valuable time tracking down every little thing you said about Democrats. My review of your comments over the past months makes me determine that you have not one good thing to say about them.

You may very well know my opinions about Democrats but like most of them you just don't pay attention. Since starting to post on this board (less than a month ago, not months) to the best of my recollection I have never called a Democrat closed minded and as stated previously I once stated they were being hypocrits on the cigarettes for votes issue a specific issue that they were hypocritical about.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: LessTraveled One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6792 of 1976264
Subject: Re: Just a thought Date: 11/9/2000 4:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Mean spiritedness is not confined to either party.

Tell me, do you think all Republicans are saints?


You are absolutely right -- mean spiritedness is not confined to either party. Passionate comments raise the level of passion in all who participate in the conversation, and an out-of-bounds passionate comment tends to draw every participant out-of-bounds, as well.

Try to take an objective look back at the last argument you had with someone. Didn't it start with one of the parties saying something a little bit offensive, then the other responding in kind, then each with a a back-and-forth that escalated with each exchange? The problem is that for that argument to come to a successful end, both sides have to come to their senses at more or less the same time, and agree to tone it down a notch or two.

That just isn't happening in politics today. And we're all worse off for it, because neither side is willing any longer to make reasonable compromises, even when it's obvious each could win something important if they would just do so.

LessTraveled

Print the post Back To Top
Author: LessTraveled One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6799 of 1976264
Subject: Re: Just a thought Date: 11/9/2000 4:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
mcemerson wrote:Not at all I think they're elected officials, same as the Democrats but no one is ever going to convince me that the current lack of comity in politics is the fault of Republicans.
***
Secondly it is not closed minded to review the evidence (I have) and make a determination (I did).


In my post that started this thread, I lead off with the evidence I had for pointing to Mr. Gingrich's reputation for pugnacious rancor as the starting point for the current decline in bipartisanship -- the accounts of my friends (from both parties) who were working in various capacities in the system at the time. In that and my subsequent posts, I have freely admitted that both parties are guilty of keeping the rancor going.

In order to amuse and enlighten this discussion, perhaps you could favor us with your "review [of] the evidence" so that we may all understand and better appreciate your position that the Republicans are faultless in this matter.

Respectfully,
LessTraveled

Print the post Back To Top
Author: mcemerson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6804 of 1976264
Subject: Re: Just a thought Date: 11/9/2000 4:48 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
In order to amuse and enlighten this discussion, perhaps you could favor us with your "review [of] the evidence" so that we may all understand and better appreciate your position that the Republicans are faultless in this matter.

I already did that and I am not holding Republicans faultless.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: chrisb76 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6809 of 1976264
Subject: Re: Just a thought Date: 11/9/2000 4:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
no one is ever going to convince me that the
current lack of comity in politics is the fault of Republicans.


No one said the Republicans started it, just Newt Gingrich is responsible for a lot of how bad it has gotten. Even leaders in the Republican party feel this way, especially after trying to impeach Clinton, they did not want him around anymore, since it became apparent he was starting to cause more problems for the Republican party than all the good he did before.


Print the post Back To Top
Author: LessTraveled One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6838 of 1976264
Subject: Re: Just a thought Date: 11/9/2000 5:28 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I already did that [favor us with your evidence] and I am not holding Republicans faultless.

Sorry, but I must have missed the post that had the evidence to which you refer. Could you give me a post number, so I can look at the evidence, too?

Thanks,

LT

Print the post Back To Top
Author: mcemerson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6883 of 1976264
Subject: Re: Just a thought Date: 11/9/2000 6:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
I already did that [favor us with your evidence] and I am not holding Republicans faultless.

Sorry, but I must have missed the post that had the evidence to which you refer. Could you give me a post number, so I can look at the evidence, too?

This part of this thread started when I said I thought the Democrats stole the Indiana 8 election and that was the reason for the current lack of bi-partisanship in the House. I believe this. You then stated that you thought it was Newt's fault. Someone else stated that Newt was the result of the theft of that election. I then pointed out witnessing Democrats on the floor of the House comparing Republicans to Nazis and calling them mean spirited at every opportunity. Now that evidence probably won't hold up in court but I've been watching politics closely for over 20 years and while uncivility may exist on both sides of the isle I think it's a lot more prevalent on the Democratic side.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: ericb888 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6907 of 1976264
Subject: Re: Just a thought Date: 11/9/2000 8:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
mcemerson wrote:

"True, but I can't think of a single ocassion that a Republican member of the House or Senate called a Democrat a Nazi or mean spirited."



Think Joe McCarthy.



Print the post Back To Top
Author: pdigi Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6931 of 1976264
Subject: Re: Just a thought Date: 11/9/2000 9:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
He called them Commies. Let's keep our recriminations straight 8 -> )

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (39) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement