UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (51) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: home88 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 20985  
Subject: Re: My Final Word on Airlines' Overselling Date: 4/26/2007 1:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Just a thought Globetraveler... those seats were paid for, in advance. This means that the airline had taken money for something they didn't have. In most cases that is illegal, it's called fraud.

Additionally, the 16% empty seats were paid for. The airline loses nothing flying with empty seats that were purchased.

If you miss your flight and have to change to another one, you pay extra money as well. So the airlines make money once again for their inconvenience at having to place you onto a different flight.

I have a hard time swallowing the "poor airlines are doing their best" theory. There are numerous problems with how the airlines are run and there may never be good answers to them, but over doing customer service and compensation for overselling seats is hardly what's bringing them, or has brought them, to their financial knees.

How about pilots that make $275,000 a year? CEO's that make millions upon millions while the stock of the company tanks on a yearly basis? Everyone seems astonished that LUV can be profitable year after year, but still maintains some of the best statistics in the industry... and I've never been involuntarily bumped from a LUV flight in many years of travel. Yes, they have oversold flights, but their compensation has always been exceptional to the point that they usually have more wanting to take the compensation than they have need for.

Really what the point is, is that some common sense has to be instilled into the process. Flights need to leave on time. If the passengers aren't present, the flight leaves. They will be put on the next flight to the same destination that has available seats, for a charge. If the airline overbooks the flight, they should be just as liable as the customer. Passengers should be repaid for prepaid vacation items that they can verify, etc. I imagine that the whole process would run much more efficiently if everyone, customer and business, were held to a higher standard.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (51) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Mobileye's Growth too Hot?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement