Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: XMFMaverick Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 317  
Subject: Just an Introduction Date: 1/3/2003 10:22 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Hi y'all,

I'm in a no way a professional investor and probably don't have much more experience than KattieC. However, I've been following LF since they IPO'd in July and have been fairly impressed. I should disclose that I actually work for a sister company of theirs (K12). These companies are part of the Knowledge Universe group of companies and I think both have potential. It is rather amazing that in the past 6 months, LF has gone from $13 to over $30 (now back in the 20s I think) particularly given the market and economic conditions.

I just quickly read through your posts and found them to be pretty interesting (in terms of watching the daily back and forth of how LF was doing). I think one of the real indicators was in an article that hoogie posted a couple weeks back about the lockup expiration. What I have seen with a few newly public companies in the tech industry, is that you are going to see quite a bounce downward as the 6 month lockup period approaches. The reason -- employees and investors. Many of the employees for tech companies over the past several years (hopefully, not as much now) come to work at these companies for nice option packages in lieu of higher salary. The strike prices are usually pretty nice as well. Now during the Internet bubble, employees were far more likely to hold their shares as the stock price went ever higher. Now, they simply have too much to lose. I mean think about it this way, if you had spent nights and weekends for 3-4 years working with much of a pay increase and watching the economy tank, wouldn't you take a hard look at selling your say 1000 options priced at say $5 at the $20 market price. That's an immediate $15,000 or 300% profit. Those numbers are hypothetical as I have no idea what the LF people have. Additionally, if your a VC company that has ponied up millions of dollars over the years, you're probably about ready to take your cut as well.

I know this all sounds bad, but the fact remains that LF is a solid product. If you believe in the product, there is no harm in holding on to the stock during the bounce. As long as they keep producing the revenue they are currently, this is probably a pretty good stock to hold on to. So, though I know you all have already sold, it might be at an attractive price at the end of the month.

Just some thoughts and again, the comments above are only opinion and opinion from someone non-financial oriented at that :).

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement