UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFSpeck Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1966895  
Subject: Just Change Twelve to Eight... Date: 10/11/2012 3:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 86
...and these words sound like some that could easily be spoken today:

"Let me warn you and let me warn the Nation against the smooth evasion which says, 'Of course we believe all these things; we believe in social security; we believe in work for the unemployed; we believe in saving homes. Cross our hearts and hope to die, we believe in all these things; but we do not like the way the present Administration is doing them. Just turn them over to us. We will do all of them- we will do more of them we will do them better; and, most important of all, the doing of them will not cost anybody anything.'

But, my friends, these evaders are banking too heavily on the shortness of our memories. No one will forget that they had their golden opportunity—twelve long years of it.

Remember, too, that the first essential of doing a job well is to want to see the job done. Make no mistake about this: the Republican leadership today is not against the way we have done the job. The Republican leadership is against the job's being done.

They weren't spoken today, however.

They were spoken nearly 80 years ago by Franklin Delano Roosevelt.
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=15142

The more things change...

Speck
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JoelCairo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823467 of 1966895
Subject: Re: Just Change Twelve to Eight... Date: 10/11/2012 3:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I saw the film of this last night -- Roosevelt is mocking the blatant lies and dishonsesty of the Rebublican Party and the prima facie stupidity and shamelessness of their positions.

Hope Biden and Obama start doing the same to the current crop of standard bearers desecrating the party of Lincoln, TR and Ike.

Author: cjb44 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823475 of 1966895
Subject: Re: Just Change Twelve to Eight... Date: 10/11/2012 4:09 PM
Recommendations: 0
One can only hope Obama-Biden turn this into a campaign about who lies more...The video tape from the past 4 years will bury them.

Democrats outside of Washington don't understand why Obama refuses to call Romney a liar or flip/flopper...it's rather simple, he knows that there's enough against them out there that he'd be taken out as well.

I'm not saying Romney is Honest Abe, but Obama has too big of a glass house to start throwing those stones.

Author: Hawkwin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823478 of 1966895
Subject: Re: Just Change Twelve to Eight... Date: 10/11/2012 4:13 PM
Recommendations: 2
Ype, just change the 12 to an 8, 2012 to 2008 that is.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/06/how-obam...

In the Jan. 21, 2008, presidential primary debate in South Carolina, Edwards criticized Obama's plan for its lack of a mandate. Obama responded, "A mandate means that in some fashion, everybody will be forced to buy health insurance." Instead of going that route, his plan, he said, "emphasizes lowering costs."

Obama held that position throughout the campaign. Elect Hillary, he said, and the government will compel you to buy health insurance. Elect me, and I'll give you lower costs and let you keep your freedom.

One Obama TV ad drove the point home: "Hillary Clinton's attacking, but what's she not telling you about her health care plan? It forces everyone to buy insurance, even if you can't afford it, and you pay a penalty if you don't."

As you quoted:

But, my friends, these evaders are banking too heavily on the shortness of our memories.

No question about that. Few remember that Obama was against it, before he was for it. Another evolved position perhaps.

Author: TMFSpeck Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823494 of 1966895
Subject: Re: Just Change Twelve to Eight... Date: 10/11/2012 5:04 PM
Recommendations: 67
Few remember that Obama was against it, before he was for it. Another evolved position perhaps.

Indeed it was an evolved position, as the the President discussed in the CBS News interview linked to in the article you provided:
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=5162895n
(go to the 8:55 mark to hear the question and response on mandates)

"I have come to that (individual mandate) conclusion. During the campaign I was opposed to this idea because my general attitude was the reason people don't have health insurance is not because they don't want it, it's because they can't afford it. And if you make it affordable, they will come. I've been persuaded that there are enough young, uninsured people -- who are cheap to cover but are opting out -- that to make sure those folks are part of the overall pool is the best way to make sure that all of our premiums go down."

IOW, the President speaks openly and honestly of his original position, and how he was persuaded to take a different course. It's much more difficult, in my view, to reconcile Gov. Romney's shifting positions that seem to evolve/devolve based on phases of the moon.

To me, Romney's doing exactly as FDR described all those years ago: He'll do away with Obamacare, but keep all the best stuff, and it won't cost a dime. He'll give tax cuts *and* reduce the deficit ("It's revenue neutral!", Rep. Ryan insists), and no one will feel any pain. We'll slash Medicare spending and move to a voucher system, but not to worry -- everything will be just fine.

I'll challenge you or anyone else here to reconcile Gov. Romney's shifting positions. And that would be quite a feat because he hasn't been able to do so himself.

Speck

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823527 of 1966895
Subject: Re: Just Change Twelve to Eight... Date: 10/11/2012 7:15 PM
"I'll challenge you or anyone else here to reconcile Gov. Romney's shifting positions. And that would be quite a feat because he hasn't been able to do so himself."

We know what he is. Now he just wants to haggle over price.

Ken

Author: JoelCairo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823849 of 1966895
Subject: Re: Just Change Twelve to Eight... Date: 10/12/2012 1:44 PM
Recommendations: 1
I'm not saying Romney is Honest Abe, but Obama has too big of a glass house to start throwing those stones.

The glass house is Ryan's and the GOP's complicity -- nay, responsibility - for Obama achieving far less. They ignored the mandate he received in 2008 and did everything, and continue to do so, to put their political philosophy ahead of the will of the people.

Interestingly, Ryan and Romney, who want to be emperors (we know, you don't have to!), also have new clothes. It was hilarious last night to hear Ryan accuse the Democrats of lacking detail, then condemning them for positions he took.

Its time for Obama to toss a pebble and point at Roney's underwear to show the difference between and honest, if not always effective, politician, and a typical corporate executive trained in the role of saying whatever works best with Wall Street at the moment.

Its really no wonder why CEOs are particularly unfit for politcai office. Their experience and success stories are, for the most part, all contra-indicators of what works in the political world.

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823865 of 1966895
Subject: Re: Just Change Twelve to Eight... Date: 10/12/2012 2:15 PM
I'm convinced the entire system will just have to go bankrupt--a mathematical certainty--before anyone of either party will make appropriate changes.

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823882 of 1966895
Subject: Re: Just Change Twelve to Eight... Date: 10/12/2012 2:40 PM
Recommendations: 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCtemaHgjyA&list=PL823CC9...

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement