UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (60) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: cabinsmama Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308570  
Subject: Re: Settlement Date: 1/8/2013 12:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
Just chiming in here, having had adult kids live at home before...

Every family's different. I (as a parent) probably wouldn't enter into something that loose, asking my kid to help out with what's on the shopping list, eating out, and their own expenses, but it would depend on what everybody expected to get out of this arrangement.

If the goal was for the kid to move into their own place, I'd want a good chunk of change as rent, to get them used to paying their own living expenses, and to put back for deposits and such later, to facilitate them moving out. And I'd be very clear that it wasn't "rent" as much as a tool to gather them a stake, and to discourage getting used to "extra money."

I wouldn't want my kid to get the idea that since they paid for the space, they could live just like they would if we weren't under the same roof.

And that sounds awful...I know one of ours complained bitterly about our "rules" about no computer after 11:00 on weekdays, and oh, his internet friends said we were horrible, and didn't we realize he was an adult, and who the heck were we to infantilize him, etc.

The computer room was right next to our bedroom. The clicking keyboard, light from the monitor, getting up at 2:00 to rummage for a snack, interfered with our sleep every single night (that we allowed it). But that part, the reason for why we had these "rules"...that never got shared with friends. We weren't trying to keep him a child...we just wanted a *******decent night's sleep on work nights. He could have been paying us $1000 a month. We still would have wanted things "our way" in some areas.

If my kid had goals, like living on their own, but kept doing behaviors that were against those goals, I'd probably get pretty pushy about "well, what are you doing with your money?? I want to see some evidence every month that you're doing what you agreed to do. If you're buying widgets instead of working towards your goals, we have a problem."

Even if the widgets might be income-producing, or worth a lot of money some day. I think I'd be saying "buy your appreciating widgets when you've met your goal of being out on your own. This isn't the time and it's not our agreement."

Now, if the deal is that the kid moved in to keep me from hiring a live-in caregiver or something, that's different. And I might say "forget about rent. Help me with my health problems, and buy some groceries and meals, and it's win-win." But I'd want that to be real clear up front.

Not sure about the bank statement thing under those circumstances. In general, if a kid (and I'm talking anyone in the next generation, regardless of age) is asking me to look at their financials and give advice, I'm going to point out what I see as a problem. And if my money is going to said kid's expenses, it's going to be hard to bite my tongue when I see money spent on things I don't understand.

Families can agree to all kinds of quirky things to function, and that's great. But when either party starts changing things (and I have no idea what the original agreement was, or what context it was in) there's going to be problems.

cm,
BTDT
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (60) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Back to the Future Buffalo Wild Wings
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement