UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: LtUhura Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 66227  
Subject: Just discovered this board Date: 5/17/2004 6:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 32
Hi, all.

Six months ago I was a dyed in the wool PC user. No matter how slow, no matter how many times it crashed, I loved my PC. A little background, I lay out and edit a magazine with a lot of graphics... and I mean a LOT of graphics. Friends told me I should switch to one of those nifty new iMacs.

Nah, why should I? Well, they explained with a great deal of patience, since Macs handle graphics like nobody's business.

Yeah, but my PC handled graphics. Yes, they agreed, but not well. Wasn't I always complaining of it crashing mid-placement, losing all my information since the last autosave? And wasn't I autosaving every five minutes? Didn't I always gripe about how imprecise my graphics' placement was? Wasn't I always complaining about relative sizing and text flow?

Well, yes, but... I was using an older version of Adobe Photoshop and iMacs were awfully expensive.

Excuse me, my friends said with even more patience than before. Didn't my job provide my computer and upgraded software?

Well, yes, but... what about the floppy drive? I knew they came with CD drives, but I deal with historians and most of them would give me their manuscripts written with quill pens if I let them. It was hard enough getting them to submit discs, CDs would be impossible. My friends sighed and explained about universal USB docks and external floppy drives and zip drives and all those other things I need.

Well, yes, but... wouldn't the changeover time from PC to Mac be a hassle?

My friends reminded me that I am a computer geek (with appropriate flattery) and suggested that I talk to the magazine director and ask for a nifty new iMac. Yeah, right. Mr. So Cheap He Squeaks. Mr. Counts The Paperclips. He's going to authorize a nifty new iMac. Go for it, my friends said. You can be pretty darn persuasive when you have to be.

Whatever. It wouldn't hurt to try. So I did and, much to my surprise, he did. A nifty new iMac OSX.2.6, loaded for bear.

OMG, the difference is astounding. It was love at first layout. Six months later and I am still wondering why I was so into my PC.

I am going to buy myself a notebook within the year for the first time in about a decade (my job always provided mine, but I want one just for my personal stuff). I want an iBook. No, I want a Power Book, the one with the DVD burner. And an iPod.

Apples rule.

Uhura
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement