Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Just for information purposes, Michigan was one of the last states to put the use tax question on its tax forms. Since it's inception, Michigan has collected over $2 million in revenue it would not have otherwise. So the question won't be going away soon.

I'm on a government legislative committee as a representation of tax professionals here in MI. Governor Engler did not instigate this tax, it's been on the books for years. Our Michigan congressmen and women make the laws. The treasury department is then instructed to enforce the laws. It is Treasury that decided to request use tax information on the tax returns. As I said before, MI was one of the last states to put the question on its tax returns. If you live here, then live with our tax laws; they're much worse in other states. Have you read the tax code in California, New York or Massachusetts for example?

I'm sorry you had a bad experience talking with a person in the Sales, Use & Withholding tax department. The folks who work for the Treasury are usually very helpful and courteous. You must have caught that person on a bad day. Obviously she wasn't internet literate if she had no idea who or what Amazon is.

If you have any questions you'd personally like to have addressed to the state, email me and I'll put them on our list when we have our annual meeting with them (usually in Sept). I meet with the Treasury folks who implement the laws. If you want a law changed or interpreted differently, then you have to go to your congressman or woman to seek legislation. The professional groups I'm in are not lobbyists, but we do communicate with our Michigan legislators and make them aware of our concerns and the areas we think need to be addressed. And currently the head of the taxation committee, Steven Veer, is an enrolled agent, thus has tax knowledge and understanding of where we preparers, who represent a goodly number of constituents, are coming from.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement