UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (40) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: DeltaOne81 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76406  
Subject: Re: Index Fund vs. Buying Individual Stocks Date: 11/24/2005 1:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
Just for the record, what I do is try to help people make money.

It's a good thing no one pays for you it :-P. Too many people are losing to the market as is over the last few years by following your favorite timing scheme.

And no, I don't hold losers. Perhaps if I had enough of the company to influence its policy, and knew what they were doing wrong, I would do that.

Ah, but, this is what makes no sense. A company doesn't have to be doing anything wrong for the stock to go down. The industry could just hit a rough patch, or they could be building for the future and therefore current results could lag a little, or the stock could dip cause some big institution decided to sell some shares.

I'm tempted to bring up Cheesecake factory again, which was opening up approximately 1 store per quarter for a long time. But some quarters, two stores would fall together, leading to a lot more opening expenses that quarter and lower earnings and the stock would dip, despite absolutely nothing changing. You would sell apparently... then who would be the idiot?

A company doesn't have to be doing a single thing wrong for their stock to dip. Stock price can wiggle and waggle all over the place without a single piece of news involving the company or industry. The idea that ever move of a stock price means the company has done something is ludicrous... and perhaps be the, or at least a, source of your great misguidedness?

And yes, people who buy and hold - particularly buy and hold index funds - are absolute idiots.

Frankly, I don't know where you get off. You come to a community that endorses low cost, buy and hold investing... and PAY to access to he message boards. A community that believes that study after study shows that it's extremely difficult to beat index investing - market timing and even fundamental analysis usually fail, time after time. And that index investing is probably the best way to end up with the most money in your pocket when all is said and done.

That is TMF's foremost advice, despite the fact that they do make money off of stock advice for people who'd rather go that way.

But let's even forget about the 'facts' here - that all the money and effort you put into trying to move between stocks and in and out of the market is probably 98% likely to leave you will less in you account than if you had been an 'idiot' and bought and hold an index fund. Let's forget about that altogether.

Instead, let's just look at what you're being... a troll. This community is founded on those ideas, they preach those ideas. If you did a survey on here, probably 90%, give or take, of people would endorse buy and holding index funds as a good idea or better. Probably 30 to 50% would think it's the best idea in investing. And you come on here and call everybody idiots. How DARE you. You're a troll Joel, you're a message board troll. You're like the sports fan who goes to another team's board and insults them. Or the Star Wars geek who trolls the Star Trek message boards and insults Captain Picard.

I strongly disagree with your ideas, and I have disproven Timing Cube, but I do not believe I have ever called you names. And I certainly did not go onto the Timing Cube boards (or if they don't exist, would I), and call everyone there idiots. And I sure as heck wouldn't pay money to do so. Gee, you pay $30 just to get on here and insult us all. Grow up and get a life.

Be respectful of our opinions, watch your mouth.

Happy Thanksgiving, you obnoxious jerk.

- Fred
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (40) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Story Behind the Story
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement