UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: emtwo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308543  
Subject: Just gotta say it Date: 6/18/1998 6:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Well, I had something to say to the folks on the boards, and I didn't want to spam all my favorites, so I figured I'd just post it to my favorite favorite.
Although I've seen some spirited discussions, and some simply unbelieveable threads, not once have I seen anything to even resemble a mean, snide, or biting remark that was meant to hurt.
On the contrary, the overwhelming attitude of the literally thousands of posters to these boards, both TMF faculty and us regular folk, is one of kindness, genuine caring, and IMHO, honesty.
I use to just come here to learn and to comment when I felt I had something worthwhile to add.
But it seems now I come sometimes just to reafirm to myself that there are good people in this world, and the attitudes that the folks who frequent the boards display are a fine example of that.
And to think that I used to pay a therapist $75.00 an hour to feel this good. :)

Foolishly Content,

v/r

Michael
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2515 of 308543
Subject: Re: Just gotta say it Date: 6/18/1998 7:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Michael,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post as you did. : )

I'm sure I speak for everyone around here when I say that the reason we all "hang out" on this board is because of the people.

I always say that there are no better message boards in cyberspace than at TMF (okay, I'm biased, but it's true), and the reason is simply because Fools are amazing people. Fools love helping Fools. : )

Glad you're one of us, Michael!

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: Meowiz Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2517 of 308543
Subject: Re: Just gotta say it Date: 6/18/1998 8:51 PM
And to think that I used to pay a therapist $75.00 an hour to feel this good. :)

Foolishly Content,

v/r

Michael

First, as to your appreciation of the kind attitudes of the folks here, I agree! Your comment above gave me a chance to say what I was smiling to myself about today....that being heavily "right-brained", learning about finances and stocks is a big challenge for me, and I was feeling sorry that I don't have anything to contribute advice- wise on the boards...UNTIL I realized I could help anyone with dream analysis, visualizing prosperity, affirmations, how about tarot cards anyone, or channeling somebody prosperous from ancient times, finding power animals beyond the Bull and the Bear? Just a Foolish thought! Meowiz

Author: emtwo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2519 of 308543
Subject: Re: Just gotta say it Date: 6/18/1998 10:46 PM
Meowiz said;

"and I was feeling sorry that I don't have anything to contribute advice- wise on the boards..."

Ahhh...but you do have something to contribute, that of a supportive attitude, a kind word here and there, and some truly original, (and quite amusing) thought..

Meowiz also said;

"They say you can't take it with you...nobody said you can't go BACK and get it! (Just think of the compounded interest!)"

Just keep smiling,

v/r

Michael

Author: elizanne Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2531 of 308543
Subject: Re: Just gotta say it Date: 6/19/1998 8:20 AM
You are absolutely right. I went to a yahoo board after someone mentioned it here, and I was shocked at the attitudes on those boards -- the obscenities, fights, etc. I have never gone back there. Why should I sift through all that chaff to get a smidgen of wheat when it's all wheat here!

Author: PSUEngineerFool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2540 of 308543
Subject: Re: Just gotta say it Date: 6/19/1998 1:19 PM
Although I've seen some spirited discussions, and some simply unbelieveable threads, not once have I seen anything to even resemble a mean, snide, or biting remark that was meant to hurt.
On the contrary, the overwhelming attitude of the literally thousands of posters to these boards, both TMF faculty and us regular folk, is one of kindness, genuine caring, and IMHO, honesty.
I use to just come here to learn and to comment when I felt I had something worthwhile to add.
But it seems now I come sometimes just to reafirm to myself that there are good people in this world, and the attitudes that the folks who frequent the boards display are a fine example of that.

I come here for the same reason. But we have to always be vigilant. Boards such as these have a habit of degrading over time. A chat room I enjoyed was on Quantex computer web site (followed it while looking for a computer). In the beginning, alot of help advice was being given for problems with their computers. After awhile, it turned into a gripe session about the company and adolescent behavior that did not have anything to do with computing. Quantex has since discontinued the chat room.

We have to be watchful for 2 types of posters. The first is the newbies that don't understand computer etiquette. If we are kind to them and gently guide them, they improve over time and make quality contributions to these folders. The second is the attention grabber. These types rarely change their ways. It is best to ignore them and hope they go away. Comments directed toward them only reinforce their attitudes.

If you don't believe the second type can affect Fooldom, stroll over to the 3Dfx Interactive folder.

Let's hope these folders can stay as worderful as they are for a long time to come.

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2553 of 308543
Subject: Re: Just gotta say it Date: 6/19/1998 9:13 PM
<<You are absolutely right. I went to a yahoo board after someone mentioned it here, and I was shocked at the attitudes on those boards -- the obscenities, fights, etc. I have never gone back there. Why should I sift through all that chaff to get a smidgen of
wheat when it's all wheat here!>>

Wow, Elizanne! What a wonderful line!

And I totally agree with you!

Let's hear it for wheat! : )

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: 2112yyz Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2559 of 308543
Subject: Re: Just gotta say it Date: 6/19/1998 11:18 PM
i also agree, some of those other boards just seem to be there so people can hear themselves talk (type) instead of exchanging meaningful information. Granted i am a fan of confrontation, but not when it comes to MY MONEY. Of course the best aspect of the "fool" page is the lack of condesending responses. Because let's face facts, none of us know what the hell is really going on in economics, but everyone here attempts logical and constructive advice.

I have not written to the board in a while because so many questions are already asked and answered on this board. But when i needed help (even with stupid questions [and please don't say there are no stupid questions because i teach and there are plenty]) the players on this board answer instead of patronize, and that is appreciated.

"And those who know what's best for us must rise and save us from ourselves"

NP-"Witch Hunt"

thanks again, keep up the great work, and exchanging of ideas

2112yyz

p.s. $1000 @ 6.9% till Nov. left on CC bill (had to get the girlfriend a ring), and 401 is maxed to 16% and $195 a paycheck to my 403b, still stuck on $500 on roth.

p.p.s. no teaching in the summer, i have to get my handicap down below 10 before a huge golf tournament at the end of July (working nights rules because I have the courses on the weekdays to myself.

Author: 2112yyz Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2560 of 308543
Subject: Re: Just gotta say it Date: 6/19/1998 11:28 PM
alright, maybe some of you guys know about economics, and that's why i keep coming back:)

"the world ways on my shoulders, but what am i to do. I know it makes no difference, but i worry about you"

NP-"DEW"

thanks, 2112yyz

Author: FoolishVenturist Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2564 of 308543
Subject: Re: Just gotta say it Date: 6/20/1998 8:11 AM
I always say that there are no better message boards in cyberspace than at TMF (okay, I'm biased, but it's true), and the reason is simply because Fools are amazing people. Fools love helping Fools. : )

Tony is one of the exemplary Fools he mentions. He has patience beyond what could be expected, and certainly beyond my own short supply. (Someone sold my patience supply short a long time ago, and never bothered to cover!)

There are always some blow-hards - some who can't admit they could be wrong, see the other person's view, or help but bait people for their own amusement. I generally "agree to disagree" with those people. For the most part they are in the minority...you give them less power by ignoring them, and not lending credibility to their voices. I did that once on a message board and learned the lesson. By responding, I heated the Board up, and made it one of the most active on the system. Everyone loves a good fight. By dropping it- those who disagreed with me crawled back into the woodwork, and the board lies virtually dormant.

Foolish Venturist

Author: TMFRunkle Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2571 of 308543
Subject: Re: Just gotta say it Date: 6/20/1998 11:09 PM
<<We have to be watchful for 2 types of posters. The first is the newbies that don't understand computer etiquette. If we are kind to them and gently guide them, they improve over time and make quality contributions to these folders. The second is the attention grabber. These types rarely change their ways. It is best to ignore them and hope they go away. Comments directed toward them only reinforce their attitudes.>>

I can't agree more with this. The attention grabber can really disrupt a board if we go for his or her bait. They also appear in chats (mostly the ones I host I think), and their sole purpose is to start fights. It's best to ignore them.

George

Author: kennym Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2603 of 308543
Subject: Re: Just gotta say it Date: 6/21/1998 9:53 PM
<I have not written to the board in a while because so many questions are already asked and answered on this board. But when i needed help (even with stupid questions [and please don't say there are no stupid questions because i teach and there are plenty]) the players on this board answer instead of patronize, and that is appreciated.>

Or as Mr. Garrison (southpark (Comedy Central 10pm wendesday nights) There are no stupid questions, just stupid people :)

Although I have only run into Foolish people, not stupid, around here.

Thank you for your support

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement