Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 3
Just leave the cash in the corporation's bank account and pay the expense next year (or whenever it needs to be paid). The amount you withdraw from an S corporation is completely unrelated to how much tax you pay each year.

You pay tax on the corporation's net income whether it is distributed to you or not. So leave the money in, take the money out, it makes no difference.

Now if the expenses next year exceed the income, the S Corp would show a loss. Assuming you have sufficient basis in the corp, you can deduct that loss personally. And if that loss is big enough, it might create a Net Operating Loss (NOL) on your personal return. An NOL can be carried back for at least two years (and sometimes as much as 5 depending on the year and the whims of Congress). That would reduce your income in some earlier year and get you a refund of some taxes paid in that earlier year.

I'd suggest you sit down with your tax pro to work out the best solution for your situation. I think you mentioned in your first post that you had a professional prepare your corp return. Get their input - they know your situation. And as a tax pro, I like it when clients actually ask me to help them plan out their taxes. The end result is usually much better than trying to go it on their own.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.