No. of Recommendations: 4
...the issue which caused us to go to war in Iraq wasn't only the elusive WMDs! Maybe we accomplished exactly what we set out to, a regime change. Unfortunately, our President's rhetoric, that of Mr. Powell and others in the Administration lead much of the naive and simplistic U.S. population to believe that we would find the WMD neatly boxed up in a nice, tight building, labeled: "Weapons of Mass Destruction stored here."

The regime we have destroyed was responsible for the murder of hundreds of thousands of Shia and Kurdish bodies now found in mass graves, the restriction of freedom for the Iraqi people, the financing of suicide bombers and harboring of Al-Queda terrorists such as Abu Musaab al-Zarqawi and Abu Nidal, the mobile labs which were capable of producing biological and chemical weaponry and "could" have been used, many of his nuclear scientists fled to the U.S. tell us of their work to produce a nuclear capability etc....the fact that none of this was used is what confuses us, what causes us to accuse the Bush Administration of stupidity or lying to th American people and, indeed, the world. Indeed, the media is now jumping all over our "intelligence failure." Blaming the lack of credible evidence to support the WMD on either poor intelligence or stupidity - or a combination of both. Either, both, or neither is probably the correct answer.

Maybe we had to do what we did, before he did it to us! Maybe a pre-emptive strike was the only way to ensure that he didn't attack us or our allies first. The burden of proof was on SH.....he could have permitted un-restricted access to all his facilities years ago, he could have stopped playing games and lying to the U.N. inspectors years ago, he called our bluff and has now paid the price.

I was and am in favor of what we did; I am troubled, as is everyone else, that we haven't yet found them - you see, I am hyped up too....I am running with the crowd - even though in my head, I really believe he had them and would have used them. Where are those weapons? I think they were sent out to Syria or some other friendly country, or so well-hidden that we are clueless where to look, where to dig, where to climb to find them. But the WMD, I keep reminding myself, are not the only reason we attacked Iraq.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement