Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 17
you can make a yummy marinade for a london broil with balsamic vinegar and cherry preserves and garlic and salt and pepper, but you probably knew that.

What you may not know is that when you turn the meat over in the marinade if you drop it just so, you can get marinade on the counter, your shirt, your shorts, your floor, two sides of the cabinet behind you, the cabinet in front of you, the wall, and the underside of the cabinet above the meat?

photon
*spreading influence all over the kitchen*
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
ROFL -

The same spreading method works, to my dismay, with garlic, roasted tomato and pepper marinade and sirloin tips...

So much for white cabinets.
Fluff
"*spreading influence all over the kitchen*"

Uh-huhhh. And SOME people have the prerequisite skills to turn over a chunk of meat WITHOUT redecorating the kitchen.

(Grin)

Ray
No. of Recommendations: 1
LOL!

Tip for marinades: heavy-duty Ziploc bags. No muss, no fuss, and no redecorating the kitchen!

CK
Yep, I always use the ziplock. Bags are cheaper than paint.

nmckay
cannot speak for Pho, but must say I was using the bags. Problem? well, when I decanted them into the white hot skillet and.........

What can I say? rare mess-making talent here.

Fluff
What can I say? rare mess-making talent here.

Well, you're not alone. As the saying goes in my house, no one has ever accused me of being a neat cook. And my children like to add that it's not likely that anyone ever will :-)

Funny, though, I never hear any complaints while they're all shovelling their tasty dinner down!
DW says it's much easier to clean up my mess than to try to cook like me. So she's willing to do it any time.

GeeB
(Blushing with modesty)
No. of Recommendations: 2
Tip for marinades: heavy-duty Ziploc bags. No muss, no fuss, and no redecorating the kitchen!

This is more embarrassing in print than it is just acknowledged to myself, but I thought about using a Ziploc. I use them all the time when I marinate pork tenderloin. But I find myself a mindless slave to a written recipe. How gestaltish is that? Not. And I keep thinking someone here will post something like, "How can you possibly even think of putting meat in such close contact with plastic? The diodes in the chemical breakdown process will elucidate the cranium-enhancing properties of the endorphins and you will die." So I meekly follow my recipe and wipe off the cabinets. And the self. And the floor. Etc.

;-D
Ah, yes.

I also recommend watching what you are doing with the blender. Some time back, I put the ingredients in the blender and turned it on before I put the top on. After I got that cleaned up, I finished the job and then took the container off the base and found out that the removeable bottom hadn't been tightened the last time it was washed so the contents all came out the bottom.
Yep, a similar thing has happened to me too. Except I did put the top on. The problem was -- I was blending a hot soup and forgot that I had to fill the blender about 1/3 full and leave a small vent to release the air pressure. Kablooey! Luckily, only my hand was a bit scalded. But the bottom falling out didn't help. These days, I use a stick blender instead!

CK
RE: 2g: "no one has ever accused me of being a neat cook"

I could be accused of being a compulsively neat cook. Most of my prep stuff is washed and put away before I've started cooking. I'll even wash and reuse the same pieces several times over. My kitchen is fairly well designed so that from my center work island I can easily reach the sink behind me and the stove and refridgerator a half step to the side, so it's easy enough to kepp everything wiped down as I go. The pots, pans and cooking utensils are cleaned and put away before GF finishes eating. (I suspect she may eat slowly on purpose?) She then washes the china and silverware.

About the only thing I don't worry about keeping clean is the floor, since several small dogs patrol that area on a regular basis.

SB (of course, of the rare occasion something doesn't work right, I can make quite a mess throwing things around) (the dogs love that!)
DW does the cleaning but only when I say it's ok or there's some time to do it. In our old kitchen she seemed to always be opening the dishwasher when I needed the oven, washing a dish in the sink when I had a pot of boiling pasta ready, etc. It was a "one butt" kitchen. We've now upgraded to a "two butt" kitchen, but she still asks, "can I wash this, now?"

nmckay

note: the "butt" unit of measure is derived from how many people can work back to back in your kitchen. Very scientific architectural stuff.
RE: nmck: "note: the "butt" unit of measure is derived from how many people can work back to back in your kitchen. Very scientific architectural stuff."

Reminds me of the time I used a movable "Cardboard Chef", (a scaled down oval the shape of our biggest cook with his hands in working position), to lay out a new restaurant kitchen. This was in pre-computer drafting days when everything was designed on graph paper.

SB (should have patented the concept)
Good idea. Yea, a lot of what I do is go through time and space scenarios with the spaces I design to make sure it's all going to function and feel right. We've lost some of that tactility with the computer. I still do a full scale mock-up every now and again.

I don't pine for the old hand drafting days, but it was more fun. Nothing like getting paid to draw pictures all day. Heck, sometimes we got paid to spend a whole day coloring!

nmckay
who used to have such nice lettering
About the only thing I don't worry about keeping clean is the floor, since several small dogs patrol that area on a regular basis.

My little grey schnauzer believes that "gravity is her friend."

>not expecially messy, either, but married to a messy cook<
RE: nmmK: "Heck, sometimes we got paid to spend a whole day coloring!"

This was always my pet peeve with architects, especially landscape architects.

We would have a major main street reconstruction project for a local city. There would sometimes be hundreds of plan sheets devoted to showing the new water lines, storm and sanitary sewers, curb and getter, street grades and sidewalks, and lighting. What would the client go all gaga over? The two or three sheets from our subcontracted landscape architect with colored pictures showing paving blocks, benches and trees.

Not only that, when the paving blocks came loose after a winter of plowing, the benches were uprooted by vandals, and the trees died, (just like we told them would happen), who do they call to complain to? Hint: not the landscape architect.

SB (doesn't miss it in the least)
Another FYI:

Don't put a pot of borscht at the front of the refrigerator - especially with a white linoleum floor.

Especially not if you are planning on opening the fridge door quickly.

(I did this at a friend's house - had to pull out the fridge to get the floor clean - it's been over 15 years and I can still picture red beet soup EVERYWHERE!)

Dansk
I also recommend watching what you are doing with the blender.

-----||-----

And hot stuff in the blender!!!!

GeeB
So I meekly follow my recipe and wipe off the cabinets. And the self. And the floor. Etc.

Just be glad the dog wasn't in close proximity!

Susan
Advertisement