Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: dlbuffy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2839  
Subject: Re: Brew in a Bag Date: 1/8/2013 10:05 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Just started BIAB last weekend. I have been doing partials from the start, so the BIAB was next logical step for me. It's probably the only way I'd have gone all grain as well, since, well, somehow the GF and I have filled up the entire house. (I say it is all her stuff, even after she whittled it down. Sigh)

Actually, I just really like the simplicity of the one pot.

Two batches down. A Scottish Export 80 that should hit around 5.5 and an English ESB clone from Pyramid that should hit high 4's. They were all grain kits from Midwest, and I hit the high point on the gravities dead on. Impressive for a system everyone assumes will only be like 70-75% efficiency.

I have a 9gal pot with two welds. The 10.5 and 12.5lb grain bills worked pretty good. I will be pushing the extreme limit on my pot with a barleywine next weekend. 19.5lbs of grains. (!!!!!)

Oh, and I do an attempt at a batch sparge kinda thing. So after an hour mash (so far have not figured out how to keep temps solid, so bouncing around between 154-148) I then turn on heat and pour in another 2-3 gallons of boiling water to get up to 170. Let that sit for ten min, then vorlouf(?) a couple times, then pull the grain bag.

Things I have learned:
- 12.5lbs of grain and about 6.5 gal of water is the limit of my pot, right to the rim almost
- The 2" thermo probe I have on the pot just doesn't work for BIAB, since it is near edge and not in middle of grains
- This pot has the temp probe weld up around the 4.5 gallon mark, so you have to start at least there.
- Even my attempt at double ply aluminum bubble wrap doesn't seem to help hold temps, throughly confused! Someone mentioned lid, but I had a towel over top most of time.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement