UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: kearnekd Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76418  
Subject: Just starting... Date: 3/17/2000 10:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I will be starting my first job in July and I just received my benefits package - very confusing!! What is the best resource for retirement information? I will staart a 401K, but I have heard a lot about ROth IRAs. Any advice?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20215 of 76418
Subject: Re: Just starting... Date: 3/17/2000 10:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!

Any advice?

IMO, depends on your age. (approx.)

jpt

Author: budtheking Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20218 of 76418
Subject: Re: Just starting... Date: 3/17/2000 11:52 PM
Save every dollar you can however you can or you might end up like me wondering if you will have to bag groceries in your old age.

Author: gbaker One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20224 of 76418
Subject: Re: Just starting... Date: 3/18/2000 3:36 AM
I will be starting my first job in July and I just received my benefits package - very confusing!! What is the best resource for retirement information? I will staart a 401K, but I have heard a lot about ROth IRAs. Any advice?

Contribute the max to your 401(k)! Then, contribute $2,000 to a Roth IRA. If you have anything left then buy QQQ, SPY, or DIA.

Author: nampa45 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20226 of 76418
Subject: Re: Just starting... Date: 3/18/2000 8:55 AM
One thing to consider when contributing to your 401k is the matching contributions and what types of investments are allowed in your 401k. At least contribute to the limit of the matching percent by your company, for instance, if they match 5% put in 5%. This is free money. Then I would suggest doing your reseach and deciding if putting more money into the 401k would be advantageous, other than the tax-excempt status, depending on what is allowed for investment vehicles in the 401k, or if you feel you could get greater returns outside of the 401k plan. $2000 in a Roth is also excellent along with the 401k, and indexing (QQQ, SPY, etc) for any extra too is good advice.

Author: TMFExRO Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20238 of 76418
Subject: Re: Just starting... Date: 3/18/2000 3:26 PM
<< I will be starting my first job in July and I just received my benefits package - very confusing!! What is the best resource for retirement information? I will staart a 401K, but I have heard a lot about ROth IRAs. Any advice? >>

You've already received advice about allocating retirement savings. Just wanted to let you know that if you have questions about the tax treatment of these various vehicles, there's help a plenty in the FAQ of the Tax Strategies board.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement