UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Ellisee One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35362  
Subject: Re: Sears Roebuck Acceptance Corp 7.4% Due Date: 4/13/2009 2:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
Just to add to your analysis Scott, (I just read it)

I got in at about five dollars per share on the sbckp and sbcko.

with an annual coupon of 1.75 on the SBCKP, and a discount rate of 25%, six years of dividend payments would mean you have exceeded your hurdle rate of 25% annual returns. WITHOUT ANY RESIDUAL VALUE or further payments.

in fact, three years of payments are better than a breakeven at $5.25

So when people tout inflation risk as a reason not to own long bonds, this is true, when you pay par.

at 20 cents on the dollar, inflation risk seems well accounted for.

I think it is extremely unlikely that these bonds will default, as the inventory value of sears holdings alone exceeds all long term obligations (leases and debt and pension obligations) of sears holdings.

would Lampert rather sell off a hundred stores or so than default on the debt and be forced into bankruptcy?

most likely.

time will tell, and risk is always more two sided than I think.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Kate Spade's Wild Ride
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement