Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (96) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: cabinsmama Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 443869  
Subject: Re: Americans die sooner Date: 1/12/2013 9:43 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Just to be clear, the main culture identified with that practice hasn't done that since 1939, according to The Straight Dope and when it was done (rarely), it was almost always done in times of extreme famine when everyone was starving. Not that it makes it right, but the Inuit culture didn't practice killing their seniors just because they were old and getting to be a burden.

I think this issue might level out as boomers and their families have more and more experience with death and seeing what heroic efforts at the end of life looks like. I would bet that the numbers of people opting not to have such measures taken would balance out the ones that do want thousands spent for one more week.

In other words, the choices that people make about their own and their loved ones' end of life care may make this a non-issue as time goes on, or at least not as much of an issue as simple demographics suggest.

I'm curious, too, about the real effect of not having insurance cover an end of life discussion. If you're at the point of needing that discussion, it seems like you would be seeing your doctor fairly regularly and such a conversation would (or at least could) take place in the normal course of discussing treatment. So I'm wondering how much of a barrier it is, not to have "discuss end of life care" as a separate insurance code.

I wonder, if you polled doctors and asked them whether a specific payment (or lack thereof) for EOL consultation would change how they handle EOL care, what the response would be? I bet the ones who get the importance of EOL discussion are doing it anyway.

cm
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (96) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Ringing the NASDAQ Bell
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement