No. of Recommendations: 0
Just wondering what is the differnce if i open and IRA with vanguard for the target retirement fund or if i just use sharebuilder or my brokerage account to buy shares of the index/fund. I know with vanguard you need at least 3000 intial and 100 continually after that. Wouldnt it make more sense for me to use sharebuilder i just wanted to make a one time investement once a year of 5000 dollars.<i/>

Um, that's actually not true. You need to maintain a minimum of $3000. If you do a regular contribution you need either $50 or $100 minimum depending on what fund you are buying. If it isn't a regular contribution you can buy as much as you want up to the annual limit with a minimum of $100 per purchase. You should look at the fees you will be charged from you brokerage/sharebuilder and compare that with buying direct.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement