No. of Recommendations: 0
Just wondering...why are you using Married Filing Separately? That is the most disadvantageous filing status and is generally used when two people are separated and don't want their incomes figured together.

You are allowed to contribute to non-deductible IRAs--$2000 for you and $2000 for your wife.

The key to when you contribute to your IRAs is the year with which you specify the funds. You have from Jan 1 to tax day of the following year to make a contribution. For example, you could contribute $2000 now for you 1999 contribution and contribute another $2000 in February for your 2000 contribution. Similarly, you could just deposit $4000 at the same time between Jan 1 2000 and April 16 2000-being sure to specify $2000 as 99 and $2000 as 00.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.