Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFSelena Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 82246  
Subject: Justice Roberts... Date: 12/11/2012 8:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
well, *this* is unexpected...

http://americablog.com/2012/12/justice-roberts-pro-bono-gay....
Print the post Back To Top
Author: oceanbluela Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 82174 of 82246
Subject: Re: Justice Roberts... Date: 12/12/2012 2:51 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I didn't see that coming. Maybe we can actually win this thing across the board with a 6/3. But the cautious part of me sees a split decision. I believe they will dump DOMA on constitutional grounds and find against Prop 8 but just as it applies to California. I hope that is the least case scenario. The Prop 8 part would be good for me because I live in California and after 11 years, I would like to get married. But I am more interested in everyone being able to marry. I want all of my civil rights. Not just a few while I hang out in my state. This is a big turn in the road either way. Regardless what happens, we are getting there.

Vivienne

Author: JavaRunner Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 82175 of 82246
Subject: Re: Justice Roberts... Date: 12/12/2012 10:04 AM
Recommendations: 0
I have no real clue how this will play out. I am optimistic though. Scalia will be a total jerk, as his comments the other day pointed out. No doubt Altio and Thomas will side with him. Roberts got a lot of heat for Obamacare, but I think he has an eye on history, and understands what this means for civil rights in this country.

Charlie

Author: oceanbluela Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 82176 of 82246
Subject: Re: Justice Roberts... Date: 12/12/2012 1:19 PM
Roberts got a lot of heat for Obamacare, but I think he has an eye on history, and understands what this means for civil rights in this country. Charlie

I think this will, in the end, be key. Hey, whatever it takes, even if it's self-interest.

Vivienne

Author: TMFSelena Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 82177 of 82246
Subject: Re: Justice Roberts... Date: 12/13/2012 10:41 AM
It's kind of amazing to me that *all* the justices aren't concerned about how history will view them, and that they don't seem to want to do the right thing and be truly honorable.

Oh well. We'll see what happens.

Selena

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement