UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: culcha Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75340  
Subject: Re: Investing ideas for rollover 401k into ira Date: 8/16/2012 11:49 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
juststartinout,

I agree about taking the harsh statements with a grain of salt. Like you, I started out rather late -- but I was in my early fifties. I bought at what turned out to be the peak of the 1990s bull market and soon lost (what was then for me) a lot of money. I personally think that it's not so bad to swing for the fences when you are just starting out. You will probably end up losing what seems then -- when you're just starting out -- like a lot of money. But I think that that may be considered as the price of tuition in investing. (On the other hand, if you swing for the fences when you're just starting out, and luckily do very well, then, when your luck turns, you'll probably go on to lose what actually is a lot of money.)

As an alternative to the "hard knocks school of investing," where tuition may be expensive, you may wish to keep a paper portfolio, where you invest on paper and keep track of your gains and losses, before you do the real thing.

Also, at the beginning, it's important to SAVE money -- to live below your means. Not only does this teach some valuable lessons about getting off on the right foot where wealth is concerned, but it serves to build up a necessary emergency fund ("EF" on this site). In addition, you can use the time to read, read, read, all about investing -- which is more free or low-cost learning as there are many useful sources on the web (for example this very site, as well as http://www.investopedia.com/dictionary/#axzz23ivtm100 and http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_Started and there are classic investment books that may be borrowed from the library, or bought either new or used.

culcha
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement