No. of Recommendations: 2
K-1's rank somewhere between irritant and nightmare for me, starting with the fact that they always arrive later than all my other documents and put my CPA in a bind. The 'good' news is that I am getting rid of another one this year as part of my 'tax strategy'. That is a lame joke. It lost so much money that I am selling it to offset gains that I am harvesting on the small local bank stock that I mentioned yesterday - so one less k-1 year after next for me.

I'm sorry for your loss(es). However, blaming your losses on the MLP and/or K-1 is not realistic. I would blame it more on the poor selection of an MLP to buy or poor timing when buying it. It's exactly the same as buying a stock at a high price and then selling it at a loss and then blaming the loss on the 1099 you receive.

b&w
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement