UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1498  
Subject: Re: retirement fund slowly declining Date: 11/30/2004 4:51 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Kath:

I have nothing in CD's right now because they offer such a paltry return.

In the 1980's, I remember enjoying an amazing return on a CD! I had some IRA money that rolled over when I changed jobs, and I knew nothing about what to do with it back then, so I simply went to my bank and poured it all into a 5-year CD -- at 13%! Imagine a return like that today? If I could even get a guaranteed 8% or better today, I'd probably just dump it all into an instrument like that and stop bothering trying to balance my portfolio at all! However, diddling with 1% or 2% locked in simply isn't what I want to do. A decent bond fund can do better, I think.

I maintain about 25% or so in two bond funds, 40% or so in a couple of domestic mutual equity funds (my biggest being Fidelity's Low Priced Stock fund), 10% in Fidelity's Pacific Basin fund, and the rest among some hand-picked stocks that I sometimes buy, sell or trade, depending on ambition or a sense of potential! (I can trade at $8/trade in my Fidelity IRA.)

Right now, among others, I have some shares of Sirius Radio (SIRI), for example, bought when it was about $4. If it takes off, I'll be tickled, but it's at around $6.65 or so now, anyway, and I have a stop limit in at just under $6, so.... <shrug>... at worst, I make a few bucks!

Hope you enjoyed Thanksgiving!

Vermonter
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement