No. of Recommendations: 3
Kathleen thank you.

would you describe the functionality of your 3 Laser Printers? I am guessing one is B&W and one is color - but can't figure why you would need a third one.

You are most welcome. Yes, one is B&W and 2 are color. Ok, you're going to love this reason. Homer actually has a couple computer areas for himself in the house. One is the area lovingly referred to as his "man cave", or "the mole hole" because he keeps it dark for his gaming. The other is downstairs in our offices area, and he doesn't like to have to climb stairs. Seriously. That what he says. Truthfully, I think he just has some weird printer thing because we have had as many as 5 printers at one point. It's weird. It's a geek thing.

Kathleen
yes, this is what happens when geeks mate
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hey Gordon,
Just to let you know we're still using our HP2025 Laser too....

No recommendations for another though, this continues to meet our current needs (for awhile).
:-)
Connect the printer to the LAN and your Macs should still be able to find it over the network and print (assuming your wireless network and LAN are on the same network, usually at home they are).

No need to buy a new printer.

If you really need to, buy Brother. I've been using one for years now and am pretty happy with it.
Connect the printer to the LAN

That is the problem - connection to the LAN with this printer requires a cable - ethernet for me. That is what I want to avoid.
No. of Recommendations: 2
In my experience, printers connected via WiFi usually have too many problems to be worth while.

I would recommend Wired.
No. of Recommendations: 1
In my experience, printers connected via WiFi usually have too many problems to be worth while.

Can't argue with your experience.

But I am convinced current technology is capable of printing without issues. My basis for that belief is of sheet scanners eat an 8.5 by 11" sheet every second getting both sides. We both currently send all our printing from our Macs to the net work via WiFi. In our household WiFi has never messed up a file being transferred and we move more than a GB a month.

So if there is a weak link in today's process, I sense it has to be the printer(s).

Would you mind sharing which printers in your experience has WiFi issues and approximate time frame?
No. of Recommendations: 1
In my experience, when printers are connected to WiFi, they tend to go to sleep and then when one is trying to print, the printer won't wake up to print, the computers can't find the printer. So a ton of confusion and problems.

My solution has been:

- Connect my B&W Brother laser printer to the router via ethernet
- print via Wifi from any laptop, desktop when needed.
- AirPrint and other wireless printing apps can allow you to print from mobile devices too.

Would recommend getting a Laser Printer that specifically supports your fav mobile devices (Android or iOS)
No. of Recommendations: 2
I'm late to the thread because I don't have a printer anymore and that made me think I had nothing to contribute. Wrong! Not having a printer can be a great option!

I never printed very much but an inkjet at home was very convenient. Three or four years ago my
very ancient HP inkjet gave up the ghost and there were no drivers for the newer Macs anyway. While waiting to replace it I started going to a print shop taking along the file on a flash drive. I learned that I didn't even need the flash drive if I uploaded the file to any publicly available website which I never did. I now only print a few times a year with no worries about toner, expensive ink, crappy cartridges and getting everything stained with ink. And I have some additional free space on my home office desktop.

Think about it. Go printer-free for a month or two. You might like it. If not, get back into the habit! ;)

Denny Schlesinger
No. of Recommendations: 8
While our printer working fine, it must be connected to our LAN by a wire and its control panel is limited. We are moving to a new house soon and I am considering a new printer. Any new printer must print wirelessly form our Macs. If it prints from iOS devices OK, not a requirement. We do want color. For the last 20 years I have used color laser printers because ink prices we high and ink jets get clogged. We do not have high volume. We often go days without printing anything. We do like separate doors or paths for printing envelopes. My general feeling is the Brother brand is pretty good today, but I don't know. We have scanners, so features such as scanning, copying or faxing are of zero value. Finally ideally one printer, but we would consider a black and white for most items and a second color printer we color is needed. We do not print any photographs.

FWIW, I am certified to fix most lasers on the market, and personally I think Brother has the best ROI on the market. I like them enough that we own 3 of them. They are strong, long-lasting, and print well. Let's face it, on a laser printer I don't want a boatload of bells and whistles. I just want the thing to work strong and steady and Brother does that.

Kathleen
Kathleen thank you.

would you describe the functionality of your 3 Laser Printers? I am guessing one is B&W and one is color - but can't figure why you would need a third one.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Kathleen thank you.

You are most welcome. Yes, one is B&W and 2 are color. Ok, you're going to love this reason. Homer actually has a couple computer areas for himself in the house. One is the area lovingly referred to as his "man cave", or "the mole hole" because he keeps it dark for his gaming. The other is downstairs in our offices area, and he doesn't like to have to climb stairs. Seriously. That what he says. Truthfully, I think he just has some weird printer thing because we have had as many as 5 printers at one point. It's weird. It's a geek thing.

Kathleen
yes, this is what happens when geeks mate
Advertisement