Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

If you are receiving anything of value: Cash, beans, laundry; in return for leasing out one of your homes; it is rental income. Now it can be one of two types of income. If it is legal income--the Infernal Revenue Service wants to read about it.

If it is illegal income (insert drum roll) the Infernal Revenue Service says you must report it.

If you are receiving nothing for the use of your home, that is you are allowing squatters; then you need not report it to the IRS. But then you would have another set of problems.

All the best.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.