UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: mcadoo11 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75340  
Subject: Re: 401K vs. my own investments Date: 10/2/1998 4:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Kecpa wrote:
>> I start a new job tomorrow morning. My new employer
>> offers a 401K but no matching. All of the funds
>> available have a *minimum* 3.5% front end load.

TMFPixy wrote:
> You have to run the numbers to be sure, but on the
> surface and in the absence of any employer
> match, it seems you can do better for yourself
> elsewhere.

Tiddman wrote:
>>Actually I strongly disagree with TMFPixy. The 401(k) program is a great way to set aside money
without taxes. The max 401(k) contribution this year is $10,000 whereas the max IRA contribution
is $2,000. Deducting it right from your paycheck before you even see the money is a great way to
save.<<

Kecpa, I would have to weigh in on the side of TMFPixy on this one. You really have to run the numbers. Again, I would refer you to Robert Sheard's points on poor performing 401(k) options. As he notes, "...it may not be in your best interest to continue contributing to the plan." Or, in your case...begin contributing to the plan.

His article is at --

http://www.fool.com/DDow/1998/DDow980819.htm

At my employer, our mutual funds trail S&P Index Funds by 42% over the past 4 years. Clearly it is in my interest to get out of our 401(k) unless an index fund is made an option to us.

mcadoo11
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement