UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ChocoKitty Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 55  
Subject: Keeping dreams alive Date: 5/2/2001 5:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
What steps have you taken to work toward your dream (other than the financial stuff -- we cover that on the RE board!) and keep them alive?

CK
Print the post Back To Top
Author: abbiesdad Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19 of 55
Subject: Re: Keeping dreams alive Date: 5/2/2001 9:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
"What steps have you taken to work toward your dream (other than the financial stuff -- we cover that on the RE board!) and keep them alive?"

ChocoKitty,

My girlfriend & I have been looking to buy some land for a get away. About 2 weeks ago we found the place with a log cabin on it. I have a picture of it up at work.

Now, when I want to keep my dreams alive, all I have to do is look up at that picture and dream away.

Oh, yea. We close May 18th.

Ralph

Author: llinden Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20 of 55
Subject: Re: Keeping dreams alive Date: 5/3/2001 9:26 AM
Recommendations: 2
CK wrote:

What steps have you taken to work toward your dream (other than the financial stuff -- we cover that on the RE board!) and keep them alive?

Our anticipated retirement date is January 3, 2008. As of today, May 3rd, we have 80 months to go. Tonight we plan on having a nice candlelight dinner for two and toasting the big 80. Next month, on June 3rd we'll toast the big 79. It's just a way of enjoying the countdown and having a little fun.

Cheers,
Laurie

Author: RainbowRider Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21 of 55
Subject: Re: Keeping dreams alive Date: 5/3/2001 10:14 AM
Ah, yes, the fine art of keeping dreams alive...

We hope to be closing shortly on a lot on the edge of the Smokey Mountains National Park. I have pasted together a panoramic of the view from the building site. On weekends we browse through floor plans for the log home we will build on the site and I plan ways to "critter-proof" the vegetable/berry garden I want to have. (Ignore the laughter from the Gardening Board.)

During the week, I am maintaining a countdown in my daily work records. Today my code is "98W22.29" which, to the initiated, means "98 weeks OR 22 months and 29 days to FIRE!!!". I have also scheduled a weekly reminder to pop up in my Outlook calendar.

Also, I (somewhat arbitrarily) picked the date on which I will submit my resignation as March 13, 2003, which is not only St. Paddy's Day but also our wedding anniversary. (And the party just keeps getting bigger.)

Regards,

Rider

P.S. I really enjoy reading about other people's dreams, too, even when they are different from mine. Variety makes the world go 'round!

Author: dirkn Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22 of 55
Subject: Re: Keeping dreams alive Date: 5/3/2001 12:13 PM
I find it interesting that some people have their (tentative) retirement dates picked already. Especially when those dates are 7 or 8 years away. My own date is still a mystery to me. Whenever the portfolio gets high enough and the expenses get low enough I guess. It's still very hazy inside that crystal ball. Even my wife, who is eligible to retire with a nice pension as early as next year, hasn't set a firm date. Whenever she has had enough, that's when it will happen. Of course, she doesn't have the RE personality like I do.

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23 of 55
Subject: Re: Keeping dreams alive Date: 5/3/2001 3:22 PM
I don't have the exact date on hand, but (because I'm getting a late start) it will pay me A LOT to stay here until I can retire at full pension. If I leave this job any sooner, then I get a reduced pension and have to wait an extra 15 years to get even that. And I don't expect to be able to afford to retire on that basis.

The day I qualify for that full pension is my last day.

Author: familyceo Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24 of 55
Subject: Re: Keeping dreams alive Date: 5/3/2001 4:31 PM
Recommendations: 1
Our retirement date is April 15th, 2004. (tax day) Actually it is an anniversary date of when hubby started his current job - 25 years. Our dreams are house in the country, garden and orchard of course, pole bldg for his toys and swimming pool for me. Oh, and the 3-4 week west coast trip to Seattle (lookout SP, I'm coming your way), and British Columbia. Oh what fun we will have!! Besides financial planning I think the other area we put the most time and effort was on our marriage. We might not have always seen just how compatible we are but we're definitely in it for the long haul. After almost 27 years I think we "got it".

Author: RE2Golf Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25 of 55
Subject: Re: Keeping dreams alive Date: 5/3/2001 4:40 PM
I dream of playing professional golf when I'm FIREd. So, it involves a lot of hard work right now, getting a round in here and there... :) Actually, I am reading a lot of golf books by Bob Rotella and focusing on setting goals and making them happen.

I have found my playing ability has steadily improved over the last year since I have decided that I am going to retire early (still 10 years off), even though I have not devoted a lot of time to practice sessions. I want to use golf as a way to see the world and to take long extended vacations with my family. I hope to compete on some of the mini tours all over the US and Canada as well as the European and Asian PGA tours and finally on to the PGA tour. I won't have to focus on money - I'll focus on getting better, gaining experience, and sharing these things with my family.

From what I have heard regarding the mindset of players, I know that once I hit the mini tours, I'll have a leg up on the competition because I will have the peace of mind knowing that I am not fighting each day (and becoming distracted by) the fact that I need to make the cut to ensure a paycheck that week.

RE2Golf

Author: dgthepiper Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26 of 55
Subject: Re: Keeping dreams alive Date: 5/3/2001 8:36 PM
Recommendations: 1

Good question.

My plan is a little different from what most people do. When my son moves out, probably between 1 and 2 years from now, I'll sell the house and move into a motorhome. I'll be traveling around the country for at least a couple of years. Then I'll decide if I want to continue doing that or settle down.

To keep the dream alive I purchased the motorhome last year. My son refers to it as my retirement home and says that he has never seen me look so happy.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement