Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: NechesInvst Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2840  
Subject: Keeping grains frewsh Date: 12/8/2012 3:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I no longer have to travel 90 miles to the closest brew shop. One has opened up in my hometown.

But I no longer just get the grains I need, I have to buy by the pound. A recipe I tried today called for 2 ounces of chocolate malt. I now have almost a full pound of chocolate malt to use later. But what's the best way to keep it fresh when I'm ready to brew with it again. It is unmilled, which is a plus.

Suggestions?

Mike
Print the post Back To Top
Author: LakeEffect Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2701 of 2840
Subject: Re: Keeping grains frewsh Date: 12/8/2012 11:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Airtight, like flour, or breakfast cereal. For small amounts, a zip-lock baggie purged of air is good. Larger quantities require something along the lines of Tupperware. Fresh is always best, so I wouldn't keep them too long, though. Try to use them within, say, a year or less?

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2702 of 2840
Subject: Re: Keeping grains frewsh Date: 12/9/2012 8:13 AM
This thread just gave me an idea. I got a vacuum sealer this fall. I can seal up my excess grains and hops.

Author: jamesmw Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2703 of 2840
Subject: Re: Keeping grains frewsh Date: 12/9/2012 6:33 PM
I have extra corny kegs that I store grain in.Seal it up with a shot of co2.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement