No. of Recommendations: 0
My wife recently changed jobs and we have to do something with her pension money from the old job.
It isn't a lot (~20k) but I would like to keep it's non tax status, at the same time I want to go into something more aggressive, My problem is, I don't have a clue. We have another 10 years before I retire from the state of Michigan. Can anyone help?

Lloyd
Print the post Back To Top
<My wife recently changed jobs and we have to do something with her pension money from the old job.
It isn't a lot (~20k) but I would like to keep it's non tax status, at the same time I want to go into something more aggressive, My problem is, I don't have a clue. We have another 10 years before I retire from the state of Michigan. Can anyone help?>

Sure: First look at URL:

http://www.fool.com/media/DiscountBrokerageCenter/DiscountBrokerageCenter.htm

for help on choosing a stock broker (if you do not have one with which you are completely satisfied), and set up an self-directed IRA or a Roth-IRA. Then do a custodian-to-custodian transfer of the account from the old account to this. In the new IRA you will be able to trade any stocks, bonds, or mutual funds you wish. No margin, no options, no precious metals except U.S.Eagles (and they are a bad deal in an IRA). If the money is in a defined benefit plan, you may not be able to get the money out.
Greetings, Lloyd, and welcome.

<<My wife recently changed jobs and we have to do something with her pension money from the old job. It isn't a lot (~20k) but I would like to keep it's non tax status, at the same time I want to go into something more aggressive, My problem is, I don't have a clue. We have another 10 years before I retire from the state of Michigan. >>

I'm not sure what it is you don't have a clue about, the ability of rolling that money to a self-directed IRA or what to do with it once it's there. Getting it to a self-directed IRA within which you may trade stocks on your own is easy. Just select the broker, and that agency, along with your wife's benefits administrator, will guide you (actually your wife) through the hoops to transfer it directly to an IRA so you don't have any tax concerns. Just tell them you want to arrange for a custodian-to-custodian transfer, and they'll tell you what to do. And, as Jean David mentioned, tell you if it's even possible to move those funds. Usually, though, it is.

OTOH, if you're unsure of where to put that money, that's a horse of a different color. That means you need to learn something about the investment world. If that's the issue, then we can suggest some steps for you to take as you acquire some additional knowledge. Basically, it means some reading on your part, an assessment of your willingness to tolerate the inevitable downs of the marketplace, and an understanding of your goals. If this is what you're asking, then let us know and we'll try to clear up some confusion for you. We won't recommend how you should invest that money, but we can tell you how to approach the issue.

Regards….Pixy

Advertisement