Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: StevnFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 211905  
Subject: Re: Old favourites. Date: 5/3/2012 5:48 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 13
Kellogg: Total Debt to equity 283%
Campbell Soup DtoE 240%
Heinz d to E 176%

Some of WEB`s old favs, no holdings now I think, perhaps because of the levels of debt.

Why have these quality companies levered up so much - poor management , expansion trail?

They look attractive on paper but the debt puts me off.

This is probably just evidence that Debt to Equity is a poor ratio to use when evaluating a company. What this probably says is that the book value of equity vastly understates the real value of that equity. Take Kellogg for instance. Price to book = 8.75. The market perceives that this company is worth much more that the value of the equity shown on its books. Let's assume for a moment that the value of equity on its books were 5 times what it actually is, the ratios would become:

Price to book = 1.75
Debt to Equity = 48%

You probably wouldn't bat an eyelid at those numbers.

You need to remember that for a variety of reasons, the book value of equity can drift a long, long way from the real value of equity. A good example is share buy backs above book value per share but below the intrinsic value per share. This results in an increase in value per share but a reduction in book value (of equity) per share.

Jim (mungofitch) has pointed out that a much better measure to assess the debt of a company is to compare it to earnings rather than to equity. For a typical company if it is less than 5 years of trend or sustainable earnings, you would consider the balance sheet pretty solid. In other words, the company could theoretically buy back all its debt in 5 years.

For Kellogg, depending what you include in debt, it is in the range of $5B to $7B (I usually use a conservative Total Liabilities - Current Assets). From the income statement at Yahoo, the "Net Income Applicable to Common Shares" is ove $1.2B in each of the last 3 years. This would comfortably support debt of $6B.

I would consider this an acceptable level of debt.

I didn't look at the other companies but I suspect a similar story.

Thinking of Kellogg another way. Consider you were in a startup situation, how much equity would you be prepared to put into it (assuming you had it) if you were fairly confident that it would generate earnings each year of $1.2B. I suspect you would be prepare to invest about $15B of equity. For a new company, the book value of equity would exactly equal the $15B you put in. If your new company also had $5B to $7B debt, I don't think you would be worried too much.

Sometimes you need to look at things from different perspectives.

StevnFool
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Future, or What's Left of It
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement