Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ToddFinances One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 361  
Subject: Kemet in 5 Years Date: 3/18/2001 3:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 9
As you know you can determine EPS by multiplying book value times ROE. Kemet has had a very sporadic past as ROE as ranged from 2% to a an estimated 41% in 2000. As such, EPS have fluctuated wildly at times.
I do believe, however, that past records may help determine future expectations.

I took a look at the past book value growth of Kemet and I was quite surprised at what I found. Since 1992, the book value growth looks like this:

71%, 26%, 50%, 18%, 20%, 2%, 57%, 67%

The first 4 years averaged a book value growth of 41% while the last 4 years averaged 36.5%. Now book value by itself means little but when you can couple it with ROE you can get a better feel for the intrinsic value of the business. For instance, AT&T increased book value from $9.70 to $24.69 in one year (from 1998-1999). Yet its ROE fell from 20.5% to 6.4% as well. Likewise, AT&T's debt increased from $5.5 billion to $21.5 billion in that same year. So if a business can grow book value while maintaining a high ROE that means EPS is likely to please.

Kemet is not capital intensive like AT&T so it typically has low debt and lots of cash. Historically, its ROE (although extremely variable) averages 20.2% (1992-2000). Now, 2000 is an aberration with an abnormally high ROE that's clearly unsustainable (41%). Likewise, 1998 was abnormally low (only 2%). So, let's be conservative and leave out the ROE for 2000 yet keep 1998's low of 2%. This brings the average down to 17.6%. So let's round that down to 15% to once again be conservative.

Now as I mentioned before book value growth averaged 41% in the first 4 years and 36.5% in the latest 4 years. Let's be conservative and say that book value growth is more appropriate at 20%. So if book value is $10.50 in 2000 then it will be $26.13 in 5 years growing at 20% annually. Now all we have to do is multiply our reasonable ROE estimate of 15% to this number to get our EPS for 2005:

$26.13 x .15 = $3.92 EPS for 2005

Furthermore, let's award Kemet a modest 13 P/E (you can multiply any P/E that you think is appropriate).

$3.92 EPS x 13 = $50.96 2005 Stock Price

Now many of you out there may be saying: "Wait a minute! You think Kemet will have EPS of only $3.92 by 2005?!". To answer your question, I'm a conservative, long-term investor so I don't get my hopes up.

Regardless, if the future value of Kemet is $50.96 in 2005 and the price you're paying today is $18 (note: it's $17.76 now) then your average annual return is 23%. Not too shabby. I don't know about anyone else, but if I was able to get 15% consistently with my portfolio then I'd easily be a multi-millionaire. So even with my conservative estimations you're still left with a margin of safety to achieve that 15% per year goal.

In a time when speculators are learning a lesson as old as 1637 with Holland's tulip bulb bubble, Kemet represents what appears to be a conservative, long-term investment.

-TF
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Future, or What's Left of It
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement