Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 439678  
Subject: Re: Obama can't manage congress Date: 12/21/2012 4:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 64
Kennedy was able to parlay his political capital into programs he wanted.

Kennedy had a House which was 70% Democratic, and a Senate which was 60%. I'm not sure how much "political capital" he needed to move things along.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Presidents_and_co...

LBJ had about 68% and 65%, respectively. He also had the spectre of Kennedy's assassination, which made the hard Right quiescent for a time when it came to Kennedy's (and LBJ's) signature legislative proposals, notably on Civil Rights.

Neither of them had to deal with the kind of hyperpartisanship that Obama faces.

At some point, I have to give Obama some of the blame.

Please. You have Republicans shouting "You Lie" during a State of the Union speech, unprecedented in political history. You have Republicans willing to take the country into default rather than negotiate a debt-ceiling increase, the very thing they did six times during the George W. Bush administration. You have Republicans proposing to run the country off a fiscal cliff of their own design rather than accept the overwhelming desires of the populace, and you conclude that this is somehow "Obama's fault"?

Seriously? I guess you give "some of the blame" to Stalin because his country was invaded in 1941?

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Mylan Transitioning from Generics
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement